Schwinn Stingray alternatives? Engine choices?

P3T

Local time
11:03 PM
I'm looking to build my first motorized bike with a 49cc/50cc motor due to restrictions in Canada (specifically Quebec) on what's considered a motorcycle.

I want to build it on a Schwinn Stingray frame, or any similar "chopper" style frame, and I'm having a hard time finding them locally in my area. I've considered buying them from the US or ordering a clone from aliexpress.

So far ordering an older Schwinn Stingray frame seems to be the cheaper option unless I'm missing some other brands/sellers. Does anyone know of similar frames or bikes that are readily available?

And also would any of the available 50 cc motors would work with this frame? I'm not sure what the weight is like. My goal with this is to hit 50 km/h (~30 km/h), since the max speed in area is 50 km/h but even getting around 30 km/h is fine.

I’ve built up a motorized Schwinn OCC Chopper bike and it was a major pain. Looked great, yes, but it required some real technical skill just get it going.

First, you can’t center the engine in the frame - it must be moved left. You can buy a $35 mount for it or carefully cut, measure and drill our holes for your motor mount.

The frame isn’t strong enough. Ultimately the seat tube failed, killing the bike, but I had all kinds of problems with the rear triangle. That channel failed in two places, even after some beefing up.

I don’t like the wide rear wheel. You can’t run to WallyWorld and find a quick replacement. And the rear brake is weak, at best, and even manages to obstruct a sensible chainline. And I even had a failure of the rear hub/axle. That could have hurt me!

The front geometry is strange, and most front forks lack any kind of brake system. You gotta have a front brake. Adapting a front disk brake would be a major undertaking!

I’d try to work with one of those Micargi Chopper bikes instead.

I’ve built up a motorized Schwinn OCC Chopper bike and it was a major pain. Looked great, yes, but it required some real technical skill just get it going.

First, you can’t center the engine in the frame - it must be moved left. You can buy a $35 mount for it or carefully cut, measure and drill our holes for your motor mount.

The frame isn’t strong enough. Ultimately the seat tube failed, killing the bike, but I had all kinds of problems with the rear triangle. That channel failed in two places, even after some beefing up.

I don’t like the wide rear wheel. You can’t run to WallyWorld and find a quick replacement. And the rear brake is weak, at best, and even manages to obstruct a sensible chainline. And I even had a failure of the rear hub/axle. That could have hurt me!

The front geometry is strange, and most front forks lack any kind of brake system. You gotta have a front brake. Adapting a front disk brake would be a major undertaking!

I’d try to work with one of those Micargi Chopper bikes instead.

Thanks for the feedback. Which micaragi do you recommend? They seem to have a lot of models.

I want to get something as close to the chopper look of a stingray.

Pedalchopper also seems to have a lot of parts/kits for the stingray which simplifies things a lot.

note: in some places, looking like a chopper can get you unwanted attention from cops

note: in some places, looking like a chopper can get you unwanted attention from cops

That's true. If the law in Quebec has any issues with it, I can register it as a scooter which is a really simple process. They're a bit more flexible than Ontario here, so I don't think I'll run into any problems.

Couple of people riding gas bikes around here already too.

I'm looking to build my first motorized bike with a 49cc/50cc motor due to restrictions in Canada (specifically Quebec) on what's considered a motorcycle.

I want to build it on a Schwinn Stingray frame, or any similar "chopper" style frame, and I'm having a hard time finding them locally in my area. I've considered buying them from the US or ordering a clone from aliexpress.

So far ordering an older Schwinn Stingray frame seems to be the cheaper option unless I'm missing some other brands/sellers. Does anyone know of similar frames or bikes that are readily available?

And also would any of the available 50 cc motors would work with this frame? I'm not sure what the weight is like. My goal with this is to hit 50 km/h (~30 km/h), since the max speed in area is 50 km/h but even getting around 30 km/h is fine.
there is a guy here in Illinois that has a bunch of occ stingray choppers some with motors on them already I bought a bike from him ( NO MOTOR) for $100.00 I started putting it together but I stick to the huffy cruiser

guy in Illinois has a garage full of stingrays I bought one 100 bucks

Attachments

• 20180202_084225.jpg
    20180202_084225.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 366
there is a guy here in Illinois that has a bunch of occ stingray choppers some with motors on them already I bought a bike from him ( NO MOTOR) for $100.00 I started putting it together but I stick to the huffy cruiser

guy in Illinois has a garage full of stingrays I bought one 100 bucks

Does he sell online or internationally? Don't have a car at the moment to come down and check them out.

And general question for everyone whose motorized an OCC:

Is the kit that pedalchopper sells reasonably priced? https://www.pedalchopper.com/diy-build-your-own-pedalchopper-kit/

I know a 66cc motor kit costs something like 200 dollars, but not sure if everything else is worth the markup. He does sell the individual bracket, modified stem, etc for the bike which is good but not sure if the 500 USD price tag is worth? I'm willing to spend that much, just not sure if it's worth it.

Last edited:
Back