Schwinn Stingray build

well the bikes done (99.9% anyway)...i got the sproket (thanks to andyinchville) and bought a new chain as well (if i had about 3 more links ob the stock chain, it would have fit too.....all that needs to be done is to shorten the new chain and then it will be ready to go...ill have some pics up soon, camera's dead....

yeah the sproket is pretty light and is well machined too....finally got to test it out too.....bike shop couldnt shorten the chain, but my friend was able to with a homemade chain breaker....got it all ready just as the sun set and took it for a quick spin....it works well...motor started on the first try and it ran great....probably got it up to 30ish (im just guessing, but i know i was doing over 25 as i was able to keep up with my friend, whos bike tops around 30.....and it still had a little left to go.....tho from a stop it does require a pedal or two to keep from stalling....i cant wait to run it in a bit more and get it going faster....i may consider buying a larger sproket later (32 maybe) so i have some better acceleration.....

sorry once more, no pics....i forgot to plug the charger into the wall when i plugged the cam into it....but ill have some up soon (to much to see really....its the same as the last one with a chain on it)

I just had some guy and gal in a car complement my StingRay, "so I said clock me!" I finally pulled 30 mph (32t). That's pretty fast on that bike, so I'm guessing you will pull better than that. Yes you do lose your low speed, but that's the price you pay for decent top speed.

I put my old 36t on my 26" bike and that bike has nothing below 10 mph. But when it gets on the pipe "look out"!

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 261
well just checking in after a while

bike still runs and runs good....ive since permanently removed the baffle (well...the little nut stripped...and i could find another quite easily....buuuut, its better this way)...only problems ive been having are with the rear tube getting holes in them...ive had 2 slow leaks and just today ran over a nail and got a fast one...had to walk it 1 mile back to the house.....but ive ordered a new tire and tube a few days before and it should be here soon...

but ive been wanting to get a little more speed out of this motor, i just dont think the bike itself would be up to it....but i cant afford to start another project just yet...i think ill stick with this how it is now....

hey, i have a 44 tooth on mine and it has had my 210 pound butt up to 40 (used to have a bike speedo) but im trying to build up funds for a motorcycle so this one and the one in my sig has to go....if anyone is intrested i will post a link when i get pics taken and its up on fleabay.

p.s. i had the same problem and i just used fix a flat. it worked fine till i ran over some glass from some drunk guys breaking beer bottles on my street the previous night.... so because of that, since june its been just sitting.....

heres the bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1vElEUnhM

thats pretty cool...ive been wanting to get ape hangars, but im trying not to spend money on anything unecessary (although the motorbike itself wasnte very necessary anyway)....

I wonder how you were able to get it up to 40 then..hmm...but anyway

despite my "no unessecary spending" attitude, i have been thinking of slapping in a 125cc Lifan, (for a bargain at 190$ -_-' ), but it would come with a 4 gear tranny, manual clutch, and a whole lot more power...all i'd need to do is knock out the seat tube, fashion a new support bracket to replace it, make a new mount (hopefully using the current one), shorten the chain, take off the entire right side chain drive and cranks, replace them with some foot pegs that will line up right with the shifter....and well...basically things that are out of my funding and some out of my mechanical know-how....so

Back