Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

All my motorized bikes were friction drive...until this center-framed shift kit project.

Now this is all that I'll considerriding.

Once you shift your first gear, you'll understand.:devilish:

The last of my parts are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so right after work I'll run to the garage and get it together. All I have left are the front sprockets and the rear brake.

Hopefully it all falls in place!

The 49cc 2 stroke really flies with this set-up, I couldn't resist the allure of speed. :helmet:

I'll get some pictures once I finish it up. The derailleur needs a little work.

Here it is so far. The main problem that presented itself was the bike chain jumping off the front chainring. The crank-forward design of the OP Roller meant I couldn't use a front derailleur, so I cobbled something together.

I left the cables a tad long just in case I want to switch to apes.

Also, I re-arranged the cogs on the cassette so I have three useful gears, which keeps the chainline straight and makes for less downshifting when coming to a stop.

It's a boat load of fun.

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1310.jpg

DSCF1311.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

Thanks 5-7!

The cogs I put in line were 1st, 3rd and 5th, so I believe that would be 22x32, 22x24 and 22x18. 3rd gear is my overdrive. :D

The cheapo Shimano cassette was riveted together (for ease of installation), but luckily the rivets drilled out easily.

If I can find an individual Megarange cog, I'll use that as my first. But most are fused together in 3 cog sets.

Interesting that you would only choose three of eight gears.

I use first, third and fifth gear to accelerate. For top speed on the flats, I use sixth and seventh gear.

My 11-34t gear cassette was damaged. Since there was no spare, an 11-32t cassette was installed. This proved unacceptable, so two sets of 11-34t cassettes were reasonably purchased. Also looking to install an 80-tooth chainring sprocket for lower first gear.

i have a short, steep hill that gridlocks with traffic. luckily, I can use a narrow footpath on the shoulder to climb the hill. However, if there are pedestrians, I get off my bike and wait for them to pass.

How's your bike doing with hillclimbing?

I have trigger shifters, and only having to shift up 3 gears makes things easy. I might give myself another gear before 3rd, though.

There are only a couple hills around, and those are train tracks and bridges. I climbed the steepest inclines I have with no problem and the engine revving up nicely in 1st. I guess my hills aren't that bad. Parking garages are steeper.

I even took it off-roading after a day of rain over the weekend, that was pretty fun.

Now if only it would stop flooding every day so I could ride it to work.

Back