Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

Aside from long-distance rides, commuting to work is an excellent sign of reliability/dependability/durability.

Don't forget to carry reserve fuel, especially if gas stations are few and far between.

In my case, there are six stations along my six-mile route, so I just carry two ounces of oil to mix while refueling.

The 11-34t cassettes should arrive soon.

I also emailed Andy Inchville to fab me an 80t chainring sprocket for 8mm chain. With 34t and 80t chainring, low gear will be 41.21:1. This should be excellent for steep ramps and hills. Eighth gear will be 13.33:1, which is good for highway speed.

The stock stem didn't cut it for high speed handling, too short. An old Cinelli stem did the trick. I also swapped to street tires.

The only problem I noticed was the two small transmission bolts loosening up. I'll have to re-loctite them.

I took it for a highway run this morning for about 20 miles. With my BMX helmet, the transmission whine got a little annoying. Maybe one day it'll get a little cooler around here.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/roughrider504/DSCF1321.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/roughrider504/DSCF1322.jpg

The stock stem didn't cut it for high speed handling, too short. An old Cinelli stem did the trick. I also swapped to street tires.

The only problem I noticed was the two small transmission bolts loosening up. I'll have to re-loctite them.

I took it for a highway run this morning for about 20 miles. With my BMX helmet, the transmission whine got a little annoying. Maybe one day it'll get a little cooler around here.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/roughrider504/DSCF1321.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/roughrider504/DSCF1322.jpg

Yeah, I've had several gearboxes and they ALL whined.:sick:

If I grease the bearings well, they don't whine as loud. Next time, I'm gonna replace them with better ones, once I find the right size.:geek:

The 11-34t cassettes should arrive soon.

I also emailed Andy Inchville to fab me an 80t chainring sprocket for 8mm chain. With 34t and 80t chainring, low gear will be 41.21:1. This should be excellent for steep ramps and hills. Eighth gear will be 13.33:1, which is good for highway speed.

The 11-34t cassette was installed last week. It makes all the difference in the world for climbing steep ramps and hills.

On the ramp at work, I now have cardkey access. The entrance arm raises, and I have a rolling start to climb the ramp. I can shift into second gear near the top, whereas with the 32t, the bike barely made it with pedal assist.

One disadvantage of the shift kit is that pedal assist is not synchronized with engine operation. In other words, in the low gears, your engine is pulling hard but the gear ratio does not allow you to pedal forcefully. In higher gear, you can pedal hard uphill, but your engine will be lugging and not pulling hard. That is why it is very difficult to pedal uphill with engine support. With a very low first gear like 37:1, you can pull uphill with very little pedal assist.

It might not be a good idea to shift and apply full power on the ramp. The bike might flip backwards; even on flat ground, the entire bike jerks violently if I get back on the throttle too quickly. When shifting smoothly, it's like riding a powerful horse. Acceleration is brisk; more power is available if I fine tune the carb's top end.

On the steep hill near home, the bike charges up with power to spare. There is gridlock sometimes, but I can come to a complete stop midways and continue forward in first gear. If it's gridlocked though, I jump onto a narrow paved trail on the shoulder and ride to the hilltop. Then I jump back onto the level road, which has a 25 mph speed limit.

On the 35 mph stretch of that same road, there was major gridlock. I coasted downhill in the bike lane @ < 20 mph and passed about 50 cars. A few cars were several inches INSIDE the bike lane, even though they had a wide curb lane. I had to be VERY cautious passing them.

On the last long block near home, I always coast at < 20 mph to reflect on the awesome 25-minute ride home. The cagers zip past me, even though it's a 25 mph zone. No probs, because they're ALL waiting for me at the next light.:D

This project is almost done. It'll be icing on the cake if the 80-tooth chainring sprocket and HD freewheel is installed. If not, I'll just ride this bike, as is.

Methinks I'll finish working on Project 29er with twin GP460 engines!:D

Or maybe my Whizzer bike.:devilish:

Last edited:
Status Quo

I've been daily commuting a 12-mile route to work since May. MY MB is a dependable ride. I carry 2oz of oil in my reserve bottle, which I pour into the tank on fillup at the gas station. The bike gets about 80mpg, and I use about three gallons of 87 octane monthly to ride to work.

I had to replace a bent 11t-34t cassette, when the throttle stuck and the bike reared up like a wild horse. I had a spare 11-34 cassette($20), so the fix was quick.

The Tanaka 47R engine is powerful and reliable. It has not given me problems since I reinstalled it eight months ago. Cruising speed is an easy 35mph.If pushed, it will maintain a steady 40mph and edge towards 45mph. The engine likes 6,000rpm-9400rpm, and it bucks a little at low rpm.The 34-tooth first gear makes it easy to climb parking lot ramps and steep hills.

Fear is the main factor limiting the bike's speed.:cry:

Last edited:
I hurt my back at work on Monday, so I left my bike secured in the parking structure. My wife drove by and picked me up after work. After visiting the doctor, I was back at work on Wednesday. My back was at 60% capacity. Walking straight was a painful chore. However, I decided to ride my bike home after work. It was weird having to leave the beast locked up,away from home. I had second thoughts of riding six miles. However, my son was waiting for me at the apartment in case I needed him. He took my backpack and tools home, so all I carried was my helmet, chest armor, shin/kneeguards, elbow guards and leather boots. After a thorough inspection of my MB, the beast roared to life, then idled impatiently, anxiously waiting to hit the road. I gingerly swung my leg over the fuel tank rack, found the pedals and throttle and motored slowly away. This would be a six mile joyride, instead of a race home. Surprising, there was absolutely no pain riding the beast. Lifting my butt off the seat helped ease the ride, when rolling over bumps and cracks. Halfway home, I heard a soft metallic ping which came directly below me. After pulling over and inspecting the beast, I noticed that two connecting plates from the 8mm engine chain had fallen off. There was no sense trying to look for the plates in traffic, and I didn't have any tools or spare parts to repair the chain. If it failed, I could pedal home or call my son. WTH, no harm in motoring home at a slower pace. I hopped into the bike lane, then onto the sidewalk and the narrow bikepath and up the steep hill. I could still regain control if the engine drive chain broke. Thankfully, it held on, even on the main road where I had to maintain 30mph for a mile.

Reaching home was a good feeling, without having to do a roadside fix or pedal home. It was a painless ride, unlike the 25 foot walk and up two flights of stairs. My son carried the beast upstairs for me.

The engine drive chain is wearing out; it's about 9 months old and has over 1,000 miles on it. The bicycle chain has less time and mileage on it, and looks to be in good condition. Both chainring sprockets are in very good condition. I'll replace the broken 8mm links and order a new chain as soon as possible.

It's bizarre that I can ride painlessly for miles with a bad back, then dismount and walk painfully, often times in a crouching position.:sick:

My back feels much better; that makes it easier to tinker w/the bike and carry it upstairs.

I've been driving my car to work these past few days. It's not as exciting, of course, but I have more energy and wake up an hour earlier if I don't ride my MB to work. I've been pedal-assisting more these days. It feels more like ghost-pedalling on a shift kit bike. Daily commuting does tire out this senior-citizen body. :(

After I repaired the 8mm engine drive chain, I replaced the bottom bracket freewheel with another used one. I did that just to see if it was causing my problem. I'd replaced them before, and it's a royal pain to do so. I have an extra pedal arm with the spare freewheel attached, so it was simple just to change the arm.

Well, all this did not fix the problem. There's still an occasional clanging noise, and the one of the chain's pins slipped off its endplate. Methinks the chain was too tight, so I repaired that link and loosened the chain.

I'm off to Orange Brian's house to help him with his shift kit. He's a member on the other forum and lives two blocks away. LOL, this high-school student waved me down on the sidewalk near my home. I've pm'd him before, but never met him until a few days ago.

Small world, since I've only run into four motorized bikers in five years.

Last edited:
I loosened the 8mm engine chain; that solved the clanging issue.

The morning commute takes me right behind the bus stop on the grass, six feet away from the passengers. I'm cruising at walking speed. In the afternoon, I whizz past, in front of that same bus stop, at 30 mph.

On the long stretch home on a slight decline, I've reached speeds nearing 45mph. The road then goes down a moderate hill, and I share the road with a bunch of cars. That got me wondering what would happen if I lost my brakes.

So now I ride that long stretch on the sidewalk that no one uses. Then I ride up the congested hill on the narrow walk path. I get a jump on the traffic at the light and blaze it for the next mile ahead of the pack. The last stretch is a 20mph cruise in the bike lane, then a short hop on the sidewalk for two blocks at jogging speed. By the time I reach home, I've wound down from the ride home.

What a way to end the day!:D

Retuning After Changing Tires

I swapped my 26 x 1.95 Armadillo tires for Scwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2.35 balloon tires. Yay!

Just change tires and motor away, right?

Wrong!

The bike weighs the same, but the bike slowed down ANNND lost its low end!

Why? Because the taller tires raised my MB's effective gear ratio. I'm having to richen my carb. I can REALLY feel the difference on the steep parking ramp AND the gridlocked steep hill. On my way home, traffic came to a stop on the hill. The engine could not pull away from a standstill. Luckily, I was able to hop off the road and onto the dirt path.

What I need to do is lower my gear ratio. Weeks ago, I tried contacting Andy Inchville about fabbing me an 80t engine chainring sprocket. He doesn't return my emails, so I'm going to "Plan B". My bike's bicycle chainring sprocket is 30-tooth. I have a 24t chainring sprocket I'll install on Saturday.

These will be my gear ratio changes when the 24t sprocket replaces the existing 30t gear:

First gear from 37.09:1 to 46.32:1
Second gear from 31.64:1 to 39.55:1
Third gear from 26.18:1 to 32.73:1
Fourth gear from 21.82:1 to 27.27:1
Fifth gear from 18.55:1 to 23.18:1
Sixth gear to 16.36:1 to 20.45:1
Seventh gear from 14.18:1 to 17.73:1
Eighth gear from 12:1 to 15:1

FYI, shift kits need stiff gears because pedal-assist doesn't work as well as with other drive systems.

This would be great for offroading, also for steep ramps and gridlocked hills.

Sprocket swap should be easy; I hope i don't get chainjumping issues.

If the gears are too low, I can easily swap out the engine chainring sprocket from 72t to 63t. That'll lower gearing, but not as bad.

First gear.....40.57:1
Second gear.....34.6:1
Third gear.....28.64
Fourth gear.....23.87
Fifth gear.....20.29:1
Sixth gear.....17.9:1
Seventh gear.....15.51:1
Eighth gear.....13.13:1

Last edited:
Back