shimano lx or xt v-brakes vs avid bb7 disk breaks

hheltzer

Local time
12:00 AM
hey i was just wondering what type of break i should buy? which one is better shimano lx or xt v-brakes or the avid disk breaks? y? which one will stop better?

At this point in time (and from my own experience) the Avid BB7 disk brake caliper seems to be the best of the best of mechanical disk brake calipers.
The reason why you want mechanical (apart from the fact that they are reliable and don't require time consuming brake bleeding) is the fact that they can be run as a dual pull setup.

The Shimano 8 inch disk rotor seems to be made of metal that has a good frictional coefficient with nice brake feel.

This is my combination which works quite well on my mountain bike, but is under powered when trying to stop a fully loaded trailer (some 75 kilos or 165 lbs).
I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle engineer to manufacture a 12 inch disk rotor and custom brake caliper mount, which will solve all my braking issues, not to mention the fact that it will be a one of a kind and the meanest disk brake setup ever seen on a bicycle.

Fabian

Last edited:
Back