Should I do something about these transfer ports?

noah9988

Local time
9:19 PM
20211015_174824.jpg
You might not be able to tell from the picture, but the sleeve of the cylinder is covering a huge amount of the transfer port. It sticks up 1-1.5mm. Should I get rid of it?

It's always a good idea to smooth out any intrusions but you have to be careful with the timing. Check some other threads on timing and see what you can get away with.

I see you did a little other work on the ports, try to bevel that inside edge a bit. Just take off the sharp edge.

It's always a good idea to smooth out any intrusions but you have to be careful with the timing. Check some other threads on timing and see what you can get away with.

I see you did a little other work on the ports, try to bevel that inside edge a bit. Just take off the sharp edge.
Yeah taking off all that material would drastically change the timing. There's a lot there. I'm not done with the other ports yet so that one does look bad, I'll smooth it out.

Yeah taking off all that material would drastically change the timing. There's a lot there. I'm not done with the other ports yet so that one does look bad, I'll smooth it out.
The intake can be rough as a gravel road, it's just the part where the rings cross over. You want to take off the edge. Maybe a 1mm in and out.

Alls I did with transfer ports on my 100cc was clean the casting flange/flaws off. 1 because I didn't have a degree wheel to check things over port timing wise, I still dont know 100% what a good transfer port looks like in a steel sleeve engine. I havent even ported mine yet & it runs like a scalded dog.

Just curious how your port work went? Did you by chance get to cc your cylinder head?
Port work went well. What DIDN'T go well was the engine studs stripping out the case. Back she goes!

I didn't get the cc yet, I'll open the box back up and get a measurement (hopefully).

12ft/lb or a 144in/lb is torque value of cylinder head, let us know if they cover your replacement engine, if they dont, let me know I got a good fix for the stripped out studs. & if you get a new engine, throw the acorn nuts on the cylinder head away. Use regular 8mmX1.25 nuts with washers.

12ft/lb or a 144in/lb is torque value of cylinder head, let us know if they cover your replacement engine, if they dont, let me know I got a good fix for the stripped out studs. & if you get a new engine, throw the acorn nuts on the cylinder head away. Use regular 8mmX1.25 nuts with washers.
Yeah I did get new nuts for it. And it stripped before 144. Sometimes you just can't win. Anyway, it wasn't the pinnacle of science, but the head measured 7-8cc.

Back