Carby Should I just get rid of the keihin?

I

Ichigo

I am about to buy a jet kit for the keihin. Here's my dilemma...I don't want to spend all summer trying to get his right when I can get another carb for about the same price as the jet kit. Is there a carburetor that would be as good as the keihin? I don't want to put anything smaller on it if I don't have to. Or should I try to jet it? I have an excellent knowledge of automotive carbs, but believe it or not these keihins seem to be out of my league. What do you guys think? Also...does the idle screw control the mixture or just the slide position? If all you have is carb suggestions, that's fine by me, this thing never ran right from day 1 and I'm a little tired of messing with it. Thanks

go to http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/jetting.html and scroll down to the normal carburetor section
This is basically the same exact method for a Cns carburetor, it's basically how you tune any carburetor that uses a standard main and pilot jet, air idle, throttle idle, and needle set up. Whatever carb you are using this is basically the whole design repeated but in different form.

If you have a jet set and you follow those very easy steps you'll be able to dial that carburetor in to exactly what the engine needs, simple as that. Once you've got a feel for tuning it it litteraly takes 5 minutes to bring in, you also don't end up changing idles often on the jet I usually leave something like a 50 in usually all year long since a 2 stroke in good shape can be brought up gently with the idle speed screw anyway. If you are racing on the other hand then an idle jet adjustment probably happens far more often as you make every attempt to get maximum power out of the motor.

Back