What engine should I get for my next build?

This whole hobby is sketchy.
The vast majority of it is. I despised it so much I wasn't active on this site for years. See my join date? I made maybe 20 posts, and in that brief time I decided my energy and effort was best taken elsewhere. I deleted everything and went on with my life for several years. I only came back a couple of years ago, and in large part to no longer seeing specific people not being active here (most of them banned). They all occupy a different web page now, and unsurprisingly it is pretty much a giant sh!t show.

Most of this hobby is filled with low-end, low quality, unethical, and dishonest people. The straight up lies and libel (slander in print form) is just the doormat of stepping into the world of scuzzy people with questionable mental health disorders that have gone unchecked and untreated for so long that their perception of reality is warped.

Still a couple of people on this site, but they are smart enough to know when to stop talking and disappear once they know they can't win.

We won't even get into the various levels of questionable vendors. My favorite are the ones that try to sell the same cheap BS everybody else sells, but call it "higher quality" because they slapped their own logo on it. Example: I bought a $17 clone pipe from ebay that was the same exact quality as a pipe as one that a certain Bicycle Fruit Co. sold for 3 times the price.

You will find that most of the people here, and all of the Staff here in particular, are big fans of facts and reputable evidence to support claims. I will speak the truth, good or bad, on anything and everything. People have tried to claim I am an agent working for Bicycle-Engines because I said something good about them and talked down a competitor... They stopped talking when I linked post after post of me speaking badly about their products and even the way they have done some things.

I don't care about taking sides, I only care about facts.

The vast majority of it is. I despised it so much I wasn't active on this site for years. See my join date? I made maybe 20 posts, and in that brief time I decided my energy and effort was best taken elsewhere. I deleted everything and went on with my life for several years. I only came back a couple of years ago, and in large part to no longer seeing specific people not being active here (most of them banned). They all occupy a different web page now, and unsurprisingly it is pretty much a giant sh!t show.

Most of this hobby is filled with low-end, low quality, unethical, and dishonest people. The straight up lies and libel (slander in print form) is just the doormat of stepping into the world of scuzzy people with questionable mental health disorders that have gone unchecked and untreated for so long that their perception of reality is warped.

Still a couple of people on this site, but they are smart enough to know when to stop talking and disappear once they know they can't win.

We won't even get into the various levels of questionable vendors. My favorite are the ones that try to sell the same cheap BS everybody else sells, but call it "higher quality" because they slapped their own logo on it. Example: I bought a $17 clone pipe from ebay that was the same exact quality as a pipe as one that a certain Bicycle Fruit Co. sold for 3 times the price.
Hahahaha...Well said my brother from another mother...Well said...lol...lol.

I only came back a couple of years ago, and in large part to no longer seeing specific people not being active here (most of them banned). They all occupy a different web page now, and unsurprisingly it is pretty much a giant sh!t show.
And that is the reason why both you and are here now beside also trying to offer helpful advice...To keep the forum cleaned up from the more undesirable elements that have festered for years, keeping the good folks from wanting to either join or stay because of these aforementioned "low-end, low quality, unethical, and dishonest people."

And that is the reason why both you and are here now beside also trying to offer helpful advice...To keep the forum cleaned up from the more undesirable elements that have festered for years, keeping the good folks from wanting to either join or stay because of these aforementioned "low-end, low quality, unethical, and dishonest people."
That's my goal. That has been my approach to BS claims or overhyped BS sales tactics (Phantom Killer!) I am a bulldog. I don't let go.

If you need evidence as to the quality of this site compared to the rest you just need to spend some time on the "other" site, and sift through some of the madness and negativity there. There are whole threads dedicated to THIS forum, and in particular the "staff" here, all basically sh!t talking and complaining, and not just by one or two members. I came back to this site because I saw only technical and hobby related discussions. The difference is the ego level. I'm not saying that myself and others here are not lacking in the ego department either, but most of us are at least mature enough to know when to let things go - actually let them go - and not pick up the same old fight on the next thread disagreement. Outside of a post like this detailing it, we never bring "them" up for any reason at all. We just don't care. They can laugh in their little echo chambers at me or whomever else all they want. I enjoy living in people's heads rent free.

I am a bulldog. I don't let go.
I know...lol...I found a gif of you when you were still just a "puppy"...lol...lol.

la-creatura-dog.gif

I totally get it. It's the same on any forum.
But... I wound up with an awesome bike when all is said and done but it would have been alot less money if the scammers didn't trick me into thinking their custom products were actually better. Well they actually are better parts but the rest like workmanship/quality of build are poop. Now that it's all good I'm so burned out I don't even want it anymore. I'd like to light it on fire and ghost ride it right through the front door of their Business..." Hypothetically".
Every excuse you can think of and when I wouldn't bite...BLOCKED lol!

I'll sell ya gaskets and you can try this... I'll sell you this so you can try that. I said if it's SO awesome buy it back for half price then lol.
You already know what they said

I totally get it. It's the same on any forum.
But... I wound up with an awesome bike when all is said and done but it would have been alot less money if the scammers didn't trick me into thinking their custom products were actually better. Well they actually are better parts but the rest like workmanship/quality of build are poop. Now that it's all good I'm so burned out I don't even want it anymore. I'd like to light it on fire and ghost ride it right through the front door of their Business..." Hypothetically".
Every excuse you can think of and when I wouldn't bite...BLOCKED lol!
"Better" parts is also questionable to me. Better can be extremely subjective, or in the classic marketing tactic, pick one thing that may be an improvement, then blow it way out of proportion.

Or you can look at the way the Avenger 85 was pushed. Claims of better design, better build quality, and as a "Phantom Killer." Statements made that it was "More powerful" as a fact went dead silent when it was dynoed. less horsepower and the same torque. It has a higher RPM peak for the HP, but it's built on a bottom end that really isn't meant to spin 12,000rpm, so is it really better?

Claims of better port timing, but no timing numbers have ever been provided when it was requested by multiple people.

The build quality thing... lol. Seems to be about the same as every other engine sold, Phantom included.

I can make all sorts of "claims" but not a single one of them need to be true. They are protected by the fact that most of the people that get into this hobby can't afford a lawyer or just know it isn't worth taking them to court over such cheap items. Aka, the scuzzy way to do business.
I said if it's SO awesome buy it back for half price then lol.
You already know what they said
That's because you expect people to stand behind the products they sell, but most of these vendors only care about the money you give them at the end of the day.

The true measure of a business is how they treat their customers AFTER they have their money. The only one that has been consistent with being decent with their customers after the fact in my experience has been Bicycle-Engines. They definitely aren't perfect, but they do at least listen, and in most cases come through with replacement parts and help.

Back