Simple Reed Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just wanted to update this thread. I have decided to get the CDH-G2 4 peddle reed valve instead. It will work with the 32mm or 40mm intake spacing and seemed like the best selection for me since I have a 32mm jug and it will work with my 19mm carb. I think the 4 peddle one will give me better performance. I also purchased the $15 windowed piston from MZ Miami that I will have to clean up myself.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y655N3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-...ISTON-MODEL-B-PISTON-/282521791439?rmvSB=true

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge with me!

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I bought that reed kit and windowed piston from Mz Miami. Low and mid range were good but had nothing above.....engine just hesitated. Most guys suggested bigger jet. I put the stock back on because I didn't have jets. Just ordered carb and 21 jet package from Gas bike...shipped the other day so I hope I get what I ordered.....some scary reviews posted on this site about them.

I bought that reed kit and windowed piston from Mz Miami. Low and mid range were good but had nothing above.....engine just hesitated. Most guys suggested bigger jet. I put the stock back on because I didn't have jets. Just ordered carb and 21 jet package from Gas bike...shipped the other day so I hope I get what I ordered.....some scary reviews posted on this site about them.
Witch reed and with what carb?

The 2 Reed kit is designed for bottom end and midrange....see what the inside diameter of the inlet tube is on the Reed..you may want to bore it out to 16mm which may help a little everywhere in the power band...I'm meaning when you get the speed carb...it's typical to need a richer jetting for Reed valve use.

Was the intake from flange to window opened to allow the reeds to open fully?
No. I did just tried the "bolt on" route. At the time I was just happy to ride. We have winter setting in so port work is on my "to do" list. I am pretty happy with my Skyhawk engine. I have a new 2017 Skyhawk engine for spare, 2 complete top ends, 4 extra sets of rings, 2 cdi's, plus a bunch of other odds and sods. Just wish we had the rider base up here to share and help each other like many groups State side.

But I certainly appreciate all the advice you experienced guys give me. I'm no stranger to tools and engines, just to the gas bike community.

No. I did just tried the "bolt on" route. At the time I was just happy to ride. We have winter setting in so port work is on my "to do" list. I am pretty happy with my Skyhawk engine. I have a new 2017 Skyhawk engine for spare, 2 complete top ends, 4 extra sets of rings, 2 cdi's, plus a bunch of other odds and sods. Just wish we had the rider base up here to share and help each other like many groups State side.
Alot of intake ports at the flange and inside the track some restrict the petals from fully opening witch will deffinatly hurt the top end.Up here even in S.Ont where the population is high the number of riders is not that big and finding groups or even others to ride with is not easy lol and if you mod your bike finding others that can keep up get's even harder.

I still haven't had time to put it on yet but I got both the reed and the piston. I'm using a Dellorto Clone Carb, nothing special. Here are some pics of it. PIC_2775.JPG PIC_2791.JPG PIC_2793.JPG PIC_2792.JPG PIC_2796.JPG PIC_2795.JPG PIC_2794.JPG

Hey, I wanted to update this thread. I finally got my reed valve installed on my bike. I wanted to wait to get a fork with a disc brake on the front and a different rim brake on the back before I put the reed on and that is finally done.

First, the reed valve that I chose claims that it will work on 40mm or 32mm intakes however when I put it on my 32mm it was leaking. The large bolt holes leave a huge gap when you put it on the shorter intake. I had to seal each hole up on the outside part of the holes. I used a paste called "Steel Stick" that you kind of kneed with your fingers and fit it over the holes you need to seal, then you let it dry and sand it smooth. After doing this it still leaked a very small amount. I finally sealed it by using my old 32mm port marched intake gasket and then putting the new 40mm gasket that came with it on top of the old gasket and then tightening the bolts as tight as I could without stripping it. My friend with a machine shop cut the window of a stock piston for me so I didn't use the MZmiami one.

I gotta say that I have noticed a pretty good performance increase. I seemed to have gained about 4-6 MPH at the top and I have gained some more mid range too. The mid range throttle is nice to have, the throttle is not so much just either on or off anymore. I'm still breaking in the new rings so I haven't really ran it hard yet but I'm impressed so far. I think I might need to jet down a size or two after the rings get seated. Anyhow, if you do decide to get the CDH-G2 Racing Reed Valve Kit and you want to put it on a 32mm intake you will have to seal the outside part of the bolt holes, if you put it on a 40mm intake you won't need to.

Attachments

• PIC_2802.JPG
    PIC_2802.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 364
  • PIC_2806.JPG
    PIC_2806.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 332
  • PIC_2807.JPG
    PIC_2807.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Status