Engine Trouble Slightly melted wire, engine pop. Not starting.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27734
  • Start date
The hole is stripped not the bolt. You'll need to tap it out to the next size and get bolts that'll fit it.

Could you say that in a way someone who is almost a complete novice would understand? My specialties don't include things like this yet, just computer repair

The engine is made of aluminium and the steel bolt stripped the hole out. You'll need to get a tap and die set and rethread the bolt hole one size up and get bolts one size up to fit.

The engine is made of aluminium and the steel bolt stripped the hole out. You'll need to get a tap and die set and rethread the bolt hole one size up and get bolts one size up to fit.

Is that the cheapest option?

Odds are you've ruined the gasket and warped the head some. Plane the head down some with fine sandpaper glued to a small pane of glass and replace the gasket. You can cut out a gasket from a beer can or twist up 2' of teflon tape into a rope and lay it around twice overlapping itself in place of the gasket.

You will be dealing with stripped bolts and holes on occassion, a tap and die set will come in handy for the future. Get a harbor freight set and don't ever use it on steel, its cheap and works on all softer metals.

Odds are you've ruined the gasket and warped the head some. Plane the head down some with fine sandpaper glued to a small pane of glass and replace the gasket. You can cut out a gasket from a beer can or twist up 2' of teflon tape into a rope and lay it around twice overlapping itself in place of the gasket.
Jeez that's so much to do. :( This thing's my daily driver and I gotta pedal it around until it's fixed.

Research how to do it and git er dun. You'll gain new skills and it takes a few hours if you are taking your time and learning. Don't remove more metal than needed and make sure to keep your head bolts tightened properly next time. Tapping out your head bolts will increase strength some. This hobby involves tinkering, its not something you can dive into and ignore maintenance. Things do eventually go wrong and fixing it is kinda part of the fun :rolleyes:.

Back