Snapped mounting stud please help ASAP

bikegobangbang

Local time
3:26 PM
Vibration caused one of my back mounting studs to snap at the face of the crankcase. I tried using an extracting bit with a drill and after that didn't work tried using a dremel to cut a slot so I could use a flat head to back it out. Neither worked and chewed up the opening of the hole pretty good in the process. Any ideas on how to get the bolt out? Should I give up and get a new motor? Maybe get a new crankcase (and if so where)? Here is some pics to help (I removed the other stud next to the broken one in the pic)
topanddetailview.jpg

Actually, your hacking isn't that horrible. Dig your slot in a bit deeper then screw it out with a flat head screwdriver. Then redrill the hole and tap for a bigger sized bolt, like 5/16" or 8mm.

So motormountedwithbracket.jpg I've decide that I will drill and tap a new hole next to the messed up one. With the snapped off bolt filling most of the void in the messed up hole, I figure there will be enough solid material around the new hole to give the bolt in the new hole enough strength and support in the case. The two rear mounting studs will be too close together now to go around the bike frame. For that reason I'm going to bolt the studs to a steel plate and secure the engine to the frame at the top and bottom of the plate as shown in the pics. Only real issue I see is the new plate running into the metal coming up next to the 10-tooth sprocket above the good hole on the left. For that reason I will have to grind away part of the side of the plate to make room for that piece of metal that comes up next to the sprocket. Hopefully this works, any tips on drilling into and tapping the casing? Helicoil?

Attachments

• angleview.jpg
    angleview.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 123
  • topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 145
Looks like you should be able to get that out tho , have you tried hammering a large Phillips head screw driver in there ? Preferably one you can turn with a spanner or vice grip

Looks like you should be able to get that out tho , have you tried hammering a large Phillips head screw driver in there ? Preferably one you can turn with a spanner or vice grip
I've tried everything for hours before with no success. The casing metal is so soft that its practically become one with the snapped bolt from the drilling/cutting at this point. How do people from Ireland feel about Cian Twomey? Do they think hes lame or don't really care much?

Back