Some advice on our first motors needed. thanks

You have received excellent advice from everyone.
If I may add, Do not buy any HT engine kit from Ebay!!!
The HT or Happy Times engines are all a bit of a gamble. Due to the questionable quality control in manufacturing, a few lemons are boxed up and sold as good kits.
After sale customer support is paramount with this situation. If you purchase your kit from a well known reputable vendor such as those that advertise on this and other forums you should get good support and warranty service. Do your research on the vendors you have chosen and narrow it down to the one you like.
Here's a link to the vendor reviews:http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

If you buy from an Ebay seller, what kind of support and warranty do you think you are going to get?
Choose wisely.

I've bought 4 off of E-bay, 1 from "luckyearlybird"...NEVER again, and 3 from http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=14607 (Powerking) also a vendor. I've had only one problem out of the 3 and that was a rear wheel sprocket was warped..1 phone call and at the door 3 days later... trashed the warped sprocket and didn't have to send it back. You WILL come across a bad one every now and then. Since I had good service from "Powerking" I'll continue to buy from him till the service degrades, which hopefully it won't.

Last edited:
What you purchase should really depend on what you plan to use your bike for. I built a really nice 4 stroke HS cruiser type bike. It's great to use on the flat streets of Texas because it will cruise at 30 mph all day but the motor and 4G gear box are very wide and heavy. Don't expect to pedal your bike often.

With a Morini or HT motor, you can pedal as much as you want but the HT's at least do not have comparable torque out of the box.

Local State Laws

One more note, check your local laws governing mopeds/motorized bicycles. I highly doubt any of the 50 states allow anything over 50cc engine size and 2 horse power. In my home state, there are laws concerning head lights, tail lights and brake lights as well. I’m 100% legal, never had a problem with cops, and don’t expect too. Also, don't skimp on safety equipment. Helmets, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads etc. Good luck !

Back