need help with first build.

vincem7272

Local time
3:42 AM
As the title states, I’m looking for some help. Parking at my work is getting horrific, and I live only about 4 miles away. So I wanted to start looking at alternatives, and this looks pretty fun. For the first part, I’m stuck on bike choice. i would prefer a mountain bike as it is not exactly flat here and very high altitude (over 7,000ft), and I’m not in the best of shape. Would one of these motors fit on a Nishiki Colorado Comp? Would this even be a good bike? I’ve noticed a lot of people are using budget bikes. but this idea makes me nervous. I’m a heavy guy and me plus the engine going over 20 can’t be easy on a frame. I’m also stuck on engine. I have some decent experience working on 2 stroke, have never messed with a 4, but do like the idea of it being a little quieter. Also this bike will be ridden on New Mexico and federal roads, so it’s pretty important to me that it stays within the laws. I’m just not sure how i go about getting it plates and such, so i might have to stay under 50cc. could anyone point me in the right direction? They are moving our parking to a few miles away next week and I’m hoping to get this done pretty quickly. Although the walk would be good for me, it’s not something I’m excited about at 6am or after a 10 hour shift.

thanks for any help you can lend.

If you can afford it, for the purpose and the time of travel i would personally go electric. You won't smell like 2 stroke when arrive at work and you won't wake the neighbors when you get home late. Also much easier to pedal or pedal assist in case you did decide to use it to get a little exercise. Do they have bike storage at your work? Depending on the battery you get you might have to charge only every 2 or 3 days so you won't have to worry about charging at work. Wish i lived close enough to bike to work but at 24 miles one way and the physical demanding of the job (20 miles on foot dragging a heavy hose is a pretty typical day) i just ride a motorcycle. Maybe i can get a sweet emotorcycle one day.

If you can afford it, for the purpose and the time of travel i would personally go electric. You won't smell like 2 stroke when arrive at work and you won't wake the neighbors when you get home late. Also much easier to pedal or pedal assist in case you did decide to use it to get a little exercise. Do they have bike storage at your work? Depending on the battery you get you might have to charge only every 2 or 3 days so you won't have to worry about charging at work. Wish i lived close enough to bike to work but at 24 miles one way and the physical demanding of the job (20 miles on foot dragging a heavy hose is a pretty typical day) i just ride a motorcycle. Maybe i can get a sweet emotorcycle one day.
sadly we had to pay quite a pretty penny to get a house that close, but with traffic its still an hour coming home, another reason im looking at a bike. electric is a little out of my budget untill i find out if this is something im even going to like, and im not sure the poor old wiring and box would even be able to charge it. the only bike storage is a bike rack outside about a half mile from my office. im leaning towards https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01703ODTI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2AUYNFZUJBJTJ&psc=1 this kit. or is this a mistake? i dont mind tinkering, although im nervous about finding a carb jet that works up here. and still have no idea about a bike.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That kit should work fine. You can solder the jet shut and drill it out to what ever size you need if you have access to that stuff. Your house wiring would definitely power a 2.5 amp charger better than a soldering iron. If you don't go electric now, you'll be kicking yourself years in the future when you finally do lol. It's your life though. My first was a cheap Ebay 66cc kit. It works great but not something i would ride at 6 am.

As the title states, I’m looking for some help. Parking at my work is getting horrific, and I live only about 4 miles away. So I wanted to start looking at alternatives, and this looks pretty fun. For the first part, I’m stuck on bike choice. i would prefer a mountain bike as it is not exactly flat here and very high altitude (over 7,000ft), and I’m not in the best of shape. Would one of these motors fit on a Nishiki Colorado Comp? Would this even be a good bike? I’ve noticed a lot of people are using budget bikes. but this idea makes me nervous. I’m a heavy guy and me plus the engine going over 20 can’t be easy on a frame. I’m also stuck on engine. I have some decent experience working on 2 stroke, have never messed with a 4, but do like the idea of it being a little quieter. Also this bike will be ridden on New Mexico and federal roads, so it’s pretty important to me that it stays within the laws. I’m just not sure how i go about getting it plates and such, so i might have to stay under 50cc. could anyone point me in the right direction? They are moving our parking to a few miles away next week and I’m hoping to get this done pretty quickly. Although the walk would be good for me, it’s not something I’m excited about at 6am or after a 10 hour shift.

thanks for any help you can lend.
id get a old mountain bike with a chromoly frame. as they can fit a motor the best, if you want something daily, id go eletric or frction drive.
friction drive wont wear out tires if set up properly. there under 50cc so there legal. and they can be fueled by regular gas at a station (if there 4 stroke). \

just a food of thought.

That kit should work fine. You can solder the jet shut and drill it out to what ever size you need if you have access to that stuff. Your house wiring would definitely power a 2.5 amp charger better than a soldering iron. If you don't go electric now, you'll be kicking yourself years in the future when you finally do lol. It's your life though. My first was a cheap Ebay 66cc kit. It works great but not something i would ride at 6 am.
the house is 40s construction and sadly haven't gotten to upgrade much yet, and the wiring needs some serious love. im not too worried about the noise, i live close to the main road and would just pedal it out to there anyways. and no one lives on the federal land i have to go through.

id get a old mountain bike with a chromoly frame. as they can fit a motor the best, if you want something daily, id go eletric or frction drive.
friction drive wont wear out tires if set up properly. there under 50cc so there legal. and they can be fueled by regular gas at a station (if there 4 stroke). \

just a food of thought.

thats not a bad idea. could you link me to a decent motor on amazon? or would i have to get that from a different site? how likely am i to get hassled if its over 50cc? this is kind of a whole new concept to me, and most of the videos im trying to find seem to all be 66 but no one seems to really be bothering with the whole registration deal. im going to try and check facebook for an old mountain bike now then, i couldnt find anything decent on craigslist here.

Mountain bike or old cruiser will fit that engine easily. Check with local thrift stores, maybe you'll get lucky and find a good bike for cheap.

It's a matter of personal taste really. I've ridden both kinds, and really like the laid back comfort of the cruiser. Wally world sells cheap cruisers, but that's the issue with them, they're cheap. You would most likely have to rebuild the wheels.
I have a spare mountain bike frame, but you'd have to come over and get it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back