Something to watch out for [Blue wire killswitch]

roughrider504

Local time
10:33 AM
Shortly after completing my 66cc HT kit, I installed a kill switch into the blue wire as is recommended. It worked great and I had both kill switches installed.

When I took Trekkie on a ride this morning, towards the end of my ride it started misfiring and dying at idle. It seemed like the plug fouled up already, since I am breaking in the engine of course. When I checked the plug, it looked fine so I gapped it and reinstalled it. Test ride, same problem.

So I put the spare plug in and that still didn't fix it. After searching the forum, the symptoms pointed to a fuel problem. Checked the flow from the tank, the jet and made sure the float wasn't sticking. When giving the bike a once-over to check for anything that could cause problems, I noticed one of the kill switch prongs was very close to the screw on the CDI.

The kill switch was sending a spark that grounded itself to the frame. After slapping my forehead, I insulated the kill switch from my bolt on CDI and viola! So for anyone who has bolt on CDIs, watch where you mount the switch.

dscf1058.jpg

dscf1059.jpg

Don't mess with the blue wire as a kiil switch.There is a DANGEROUS (potentally lethal) voltage on it.It takes something like a 1000V to get a spark to junp.Use the White Wire (ground it) that's what it is intended for.
ing

Back