Engine Trouble spark plug shot out of head

The basics gotta be checked

Engine will not run if any of these are absent or not in the correct balance: compression, spark, fuel, and air.

Of course spark and compression can be observed easily, but one must really get into the places not readily accessible to check timing of spark, air and fuel, and their ratio. Unless you have a three figure salary, I'd do your own work from now on. Mechanics are just so dang expensive, especially for simple 2 stroke engines that can be easily learned/studied unlike complicated automotive systems with unnecessary gizmos.

I'd guess bad compression since the thing ran fine, but couldn't stay running after something happened around the head. The air/fuel ratio didn't change from a spark plug popping out and neither did the fuel, so I'd rule those out.

I don't think you did enough troubleshooting. Can't wait to see if the mechanic figures this out.

Engine will not run if any of these are absent or not in the correct balance: compression, spark, fuel, and air.

Of course spark and compression can be observed easily, but one must really get into the places not readily accessible to check timing of spark, air and fuel, and their ratio. Unless you have a three figure salary, I'd do your own work from now on. Mechanics are just so dang expensive, especially for simple 2 stroke engines that can be easily learned/studied unlike complicated automotive systems with unnecessary gizmos.

I'd guess bad compression since the thing ran fine, but couldn't stay running after something happened around the head. The air/fuel ratio didn't change from a spark plug popping out and neither did the fuel, so I'd rule those out.

I don't think you did enough troubleshooting. Can't wait to see if the mechanic figures this out.

onlything that i havent done is tear the crank case apart. not sure if you read this whole thread but i got a whole new kit free out of this and didnt have to send th old one back. so at this point i dont NEED to get it running,I just gained one to tinker on.

I don't really have an answer...

...I have two questions and since I haven't been able to figure out how to start a thread or post here, I thought I'd try this. Site question; how does one post or start a thread? Technical question/issue. I have a 66cc motor which had been running pretty well with the exception of an apparent air leak which I've been attempting to track down. I've tightened the head bolt, intake and exhaust connections, I haven't done anything with the crankcase, yet. Two days ago I went to go for a ride, pedaled up to starting speed, sounded like the motor turned over a couple of times then the back wheel locked up. I've determined that it was not a seized motor. I let the bike sit for an hour or so, went back out and experienced the same thing. I opened up the clutch side of the motor, nothing appeared out of order. I tried again after letting the bike sit in the sun thinking maybe something got wet from the rain from the day before and needed time to dry out. I've made about a half dozen attempts with exact same results, motor turns for a second or so then the rear wheel locks up. Might be something really obvious (I hope I hope) ...I'm not real sharp at this stuff, hoping also that somebody here is and can explain and offer a solution to me. thank you.

nishikidrift... who did you buy your kit from? Sounds like a good place to do business with. thank you

I plan on tearing it apart and rebuilding it better since this cost me nothing for the new one.
It really does help to tear into something just to see how it all works.

The killer is keeping all the nuts and bolts and parts together for when you want to put it back together.

This video is pretty helpful.

TIP: Turn your sound off unless you are a fan of Rocky movies ;-}

Last edited by a moderator:
Back