Sprocket offset

Try it one way. If it doesnt line up, try it the other way. If you're looking for a definitive answer, you're not going to find one.

Dear Sir-Every bike frame can have nuances dictating how the engine and rear sprocket are fitted/mounted. Every build is a little bit different, and you are looking for a specific answer that does not exist, IMHO.
Try it one way. If it doesnt line up, try it the other way. If you're looking for a definitive answer, you're not going to find one.
YEP...One size does NOT fit all...lol...This is one of those areas of bike building that there is no yes or no answer to...It totally depends on the way things line up once installed...Trial and error, If it doesn't line up one way, than you know it needs to be turned around the other way...lol.

Ps...It is now just a "best guess" scenario and hopefully trying it by "eye" will be the right way the first time you try.

Not to rag on you OP, but this is a hobby where it's very DIY and figure it out. There are no definitive answer to most questions. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum but you need to have some mechanical knowledge and/or common sense in order to figure out things for yourself and/or take the answers you are given to come to a conclusion. This is one of the most basic questions and non answers. Maybe this hobby isn't for you, maybe it is. I would advise to not give up and keep on going and learn a few things a long the way.

On the couple I have. One running and one still in the works, the bevels are inward.
I have adapted the sprocket to the disc brake hub which put it too far outboard, so I added a 52 tooth to the original 44. The 52 needed to be cut out to fit over the hub.
I used the rag joint backing plates as a spacer and it lines up nicely.

I'm sure people will say a 52 is too slow but I'm not a speed demon. I got the Bike GPS App so I can see how fast it does go. I can tell you right now, fast enough for me. Lol.

The point is you have to do what you have to do.

Well I fired up the Bike GPS App and it showed a top speed of just under 40kph around 25mph. That wasn't completely strung out so I guess it would go a few faster. Good enough.
I'm impressed with the Bike GPS, I might buy the full version.

Attachments

• Bike left.jpg
    Bike left.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 56
Try googling your bike model and see if you can find examples of other builds and see what they are doing. That may give you a better chance of nailing it your first try, but like everyone else explained, there is a lot of trial and error in this hobby.

Back