Sputtering and Backfiring

Zak

Just quick, I'll check when I get home from work tonight. My bike runs fine but when I get to a stop sign then go, it sputters and backfires and it might clear up or it might not. If it doesnt, I let it sit a couple minutes and it fires back up no problem and goes fine.

Does this sound like a fuel delivery issue to you guys? I changed the filter yesterday and it didn't help, I'm gonna check that screen thing on the petcock tonight.

I've also seen guys mention cleaning the exhaust... I have a stock exhaust and almost 3000 miles I'd say. Ive never touched the exhaust.

Purple Haze

The jet gets clogged in the carb, wouldn't hurt to take the float bowl off and give it a shot of carb cleaner and maybe stick a small diameter wire into the jet hole to make sure it's not blocked.

Tyler6357

Yeah, I would start off cleaning the carb with carb cleaner, it's probably not the exhaust pipe but if you are using a thick oil mix then oil can sometimes clog up stock pipes so air won't flow properly.

Zak

Thanks guys. I haven't done anything to the bike since the last post. I'm parking it for the winter. I'll be asking what I need to rebuild pretty soon probably.

Thank you all so much for your help. It is much appreciated.

gary55

Sounds more electrical than fuel. Could also be warped/loose head that starts leaking excessively when warmed up.