Starting over

graggy

Local time
3:05 AM
I have a bbr 66/80cc engine kit and tried putting it on a raleigh 26” thin tire aluminum bike. nothing seemed to fit right and I got pretty frustrated and ended up taking it off. I still would like to put this kit on a bike but I’m looking for some suggestions on a bike to put it on that won’t be so difficult to build. This is my first time doing this. Are there any bikes out there that would make a good choice and be pretty easy to build?

The easiest bikes to build on are the older MTBs. Lots of room between the tubes for an engine, but tight enough to keep it up from the pedals.
This is a Giant I did a couple years ago, and still ride today. The only thing I would change is put some 2.0 or 2.1 tires, the 1.05 are a bit thinner.

full

The easiest bikes to build on are the older MTBs. Lots of room between the tubes for an engine, but tight enough to keep it up from the pedals.
This is a Giant I did a couple years ago, and still ride today. The only thing I would change is put some 2.0 or 2.1 tires, the 1.05 are a bit thinner.

full
Can you put fatter tires like 2.0 on the same rim?

Can you recommend a cruiser bike that wouldn’t be too hard to build?
The Hyper Cruiser has become very popular as the frame is very durable. It may not have all the Bells and whistles, but it is a solid foundation as a frame to build off of, and also very affordable. (Walmart sells them for $148)

My fellow Moderator @DAMIEN1307 has one with a Phantom 85, which is no joke as far as engines go, and previously ran another engine for a long time, and it is still in one piece.

Yeah that's a great frame. I have one too. Mine is still a work in progress. I got the bike on ebay for 117 bucks shipped

Attachments

• 20230531_174607.jpg
    20230531_174607.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 57
I will eventually be transferring my build to a hyper, but right now it's on a cranbrook. The cranbrook is second to the Hyper. The reason my bike is built on a cranbrook is the bike was free.

Attachments

• 20230706_142815.jpg
    20230706_142815.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 54
cruisers will need a lot of love to be safe. I second Mr. Chainlube's post: if you can find a 90's mtb with semi horizontal drop outs and a 1 1/8 inch steerer tube you're golden. Vertical dropout will be nothing but trouble because unless you get very lucky the chain wont have the right tension.

Back