staton 3.11 to 1 small light gearbox

answer to your first question yes, low friction, low weight, simple.

my conserns are stress on the free wheel with durability implications etc and drag when i pedal but ill have to see what happens.

ill give it a try on what ive got more than like wood with a few lock nuts in the correct place. and wood is better at absorbing energy than metal but ill see waht happens. yes to keep the chain tight and wedges will be kept in place with a lock nut and angle in the correct place.

ill post some pics but thats dax are not responing to my emails for the gearbox.

and like dude.. i love strerotypes lol!!:), thanks soo much you totally maddde mmmy ddday, you rock. dont worry im not a complety ignorant Ive been to LA a few times and lived in america not such a bad place.

So the engine will be driven from the same side as the pedal chain then. Interesting. I really gotta see this when it is done. I hope the engine does not tear things up.

Cheerio!

appye: "it seems you would be locked into the sprockets they sell."

ok go to ebay and type in front sprocket. hope that helps

ps i hope it dont shread my wheel too. :)

gear box update

so staton gearbox unobtainable no communication back fromsales dept at staton.

so instead i bouth this 5:1 reduction gb.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Petrol-Scoote...12|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

i modified this sprocket to work with a bike chain by cut and grinding... and more grinding. ill show this when its comletely finished

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-DIRT-BIK...hash=item380047990214&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

waiting for deliever of this chain to determin thickness of sprocket

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280250007066

So my design concept/principles are
Simple, light and low rolling resistance and unhinderd riding (no/low resistance) and not so visable (just so the locals dont stare when i go past).

Implementations of concept
i decided to run fwd front wheel drive because.
when you drive from the back you may a low resisiance when going foward with no pedelling but....when pedelling you end up turn something. it the grubee gearbox this is just a shaft, but in the gearbox i have its several gears aswell which ends up being alot of resistance....

so by putting it on the front wheel no resistance when pedalling. agree disagree feel free to comment im happy to talk.

happy with ... how liht bike is

unhappy with .... trying to mount the rs eho35, other mounts use the gearbox bolts to mount seem like a good idea. but what do you guys think of what ive done any ideas.

...theres always room for improvement

loook at the pics for rest of mount. thanks

ps i will continue to document to process as i go along aswell as post the template for a 10t sprocket.

pps the last photo is my "normal" bike on the way to work. human power just isnt enough:D

Attachments

• alining sprocket.jpg
    alining sprocket.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 249
  • alining sprocket 2.jpg
    alining sprocket 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 244
  • hardware complete.jpg
    hardware complete.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 263
  • harware closeup.jpg
    harware closeup.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 242
  • marking members.jpg
    marking members.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 245
  • mock up.jpg
    mock up.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 249
  • mock up 2.jpg
    mock up 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN2848.jpg
    DSCN2848.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 249
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Craziest bike ... ever! I want to see end result pics for sure!

I don't quite understand what you mean by the more/less resistance based on where the engine is located and whether or not you are pedaling though ...

why thanks appye. :D Im glad you like my bike. i think im gonna take of the arm pedals to start of with thou.

basically my theory is the relationship between the front chainring on the pedals and the output sprocket on the gear box and how they all connect.

explanation

basically i will explain how step by step the force travels to rotate parts not required for momentum

1 i apply force to pedal
2 which rotates front ring
3 which rotates back freewheel
4 which rotates hub
5 which rotates sprocket (or whatever finaldrive mechanism) rememeber that the freewheel one freewheels one direction
6 which rotates output sprocket on gb
7 which rotates internal mechanism of gearbox which in my case is quiet stiff

sorry for all the "which's" :)

soooo by putting the mottor on the front you break the connection via the hub. and you can pedal away to your hearts content with only the resistance of the freewheel on the front when the engine is not in use.

I think I understand. You are talking about resistance from spinning the chain and gearbox when pedaling by itself, right? I decided to go with the regular Staton kit (for the most part) that has a left hand freewheel at the hub, on the opposite side of the pedals, so there is no resistance there. I was going to get adventurous and design my own system from the ground up, but I want an everyday driver that for the most part just works...

Good luck!

lighest fourstroke bike?? and it folds

ok beeen testing and making tinkering but shes done now just testing her out.

the story: planning to use a real lightweight bike engine and gearbox. not just to be light but to be effcient travel and easy to carry on public transport.

was going to use staton but couldnt find right parts. so used 1:5 gearbox that reverses direction of engine which is rs eho35 from dug3x3 a very good vendor, i especially recomend him for out of state of international deals as being in the uk its not easy to just give him a call. but he was very helpfull and ALWAYS returned emails :). the bike is very light and foldable. i made my own rack it works well. just that the eho35 is difficult to mount as limited holes. i made my own front sprocket out of a larger one for a diferent type of chain, which seems to be working well, it took a long time maybee 20+ hours but is still smooth and has no problems. i hid it in a pannier bag as i like to ride my bike without engine on (gotta get that exercise) so i dont what people staring. which people do alot in mid wales..

and here are the photos so far

sprocket template shows once the gear has been roughed out very slowly and keeping the metal cool. the fine tuning begins still with angle grinder.

the middel pics are just general photos from my house in newtown wales to machynlleth. check it out on google. there are some serious hills on the way the engine just couldnt handle. any of you guys have the same problem???

the later pics are the bike semi folded with equipment on it.

and the last shows where the exhaust fume have melted a hole in the bag.

Attachments

• sprocket template.jpg
    sprocket template.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN2877.jpg
    DSCN2877.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN2881.jpg
    DSCN2881.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN2883.jpg
    DSCN2883.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN2892.jpg
    DSCN2892.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN2896.jpg
    DSCN2896.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 217
heres the bike folded

so what do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSCN2893.jpg
    DSCN2893.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 233
so does the driven gear freewheel on the hub as well? If so that is totally cool. You still gonna attach the hand pedals? i was wondering why you do not have hand grips there

Back