Stupid idea for a gas tank trailer

Apple

Local time
7:12 AM
So, how stupid would it be for me to put a typical 5 gallon gas tank onto a cheap cargo trailer with fuel lines connecting it to an engine?

So, how stupid would it be for me to put a typical 5 gallon gas tank onto a cheap cargo trailer with fuel lines connecting it to an engine?
well, first, it wouldnt work without a fuel pump (the carb bowl is higher then the tank)

second, it would be pretty heavy (5 gallons of fuel is about 30lbs, plus the weight of the trailer is another good 20)

if i were to do this id get a rear rack and connect the fuel line with the regular tank (with a t fitting, and a fuel shut off going to the 5 gal tank)
then when the primary tank runs out, you just switch on the 5 gal shut off and boom, your back in business)

well, first, it wouldnt work without a fuel pump (the carb bowl is higher then the tank)

second, it would be pretty heavy (5 gallons of fuel is about 30lbs, plus the weight of the trailer is another good 20)

if i were to do this id get a rear rack and connect the fuel line with the regular tank (with a t fitting, and a fuel shut off going to the 5 gal tank)
then when the primary tank runs out, you just switch on the 5 gal shut off and boom, your back in business)
Ah, that makes sense. I will be sticking with the normal tank for now, I just wanted to know for future reference. Have a good one!

Honestly I was just curious if it could be done, and what kinds of things would have to be done for it to work properly. I have no intention of building one unless I go through with making a long-distance bike (like to get me between counties, that sort of thing)

On a Honda GXH 50 Honda makes a pulse fuel pump that works off of compression/decompression [not sure it runs off of the crank] cycle that might fit your needs. Don't know if the HS 49cc is set up to make it work. You might check into it. Those OEM pumps on fleabay are cheap.

When I ride I know where the next gas station is. If I take a chance and not know where the next gas station is.
I"ll turn around when I'm almost 40 miles out if I haven,t come across one yet. It hasn't happened yet.
I have a Speedometer and 1.2 gal tank on my Whizzer Motorbike I get 80 miles to the gal.

Only issue with the new Honda gx50 motor is the tank only holds like .65 ltr. That's about 15mi if you empty it and I don't like to do that. I'm gonna keep a 1 gal fuel tank bungied to the top of the friction channel for range. Don't want to change the tank to a bigger one on top as that would change the low profile I like with the gx motors. It'll work just need to filler up more often. No hurries when riding just enjoying the ride.

It probably could work. You keep your normal tank, and then when that empties, you refill from your tank on the trailer... No pump needed, but then a better idea would be to have a 5 gallon gas can or water jug attached to your bike's rear with a cargo holder or a custom welded set up from angle...

Back