Super wide range torque pipe from Jaguar is a technological breakthrough

Jaguar, i am happy to have my posts (not related to this thread) deleted and moved to a new """gearing""" thread, if Max350 agrees to do the same. The moderators can easily organise the cleanup.
I have no problems shifting my comments out of the "Super wide range torque pipe from Jaguar is a technological breakthrough" for the sake of keeping things on track.

Hi, I would like to ask for some help calculating cone diameters and header length. I feel that this tuned pipe desing should work better than my current pipe. The engine that I am planing to make a pipe for is a Jonsered 49cc chainsaw (~220 mm^2 exhaust port area, 156 degree exhaust port angle, ~134 degree transfer port angle). Currently I am able to reach 36.5 mph @7350 rpm, but the max rpm on paper is 13000, max power 2.3 kW @9000 rpm. The pipe that I am using now is from 35cc mini bike, it is definitely too small and the header is too short. Could anybody suggest what desing should I use?

Hi Karolis,

Are you looking to acheive higher rpms or lower end torque? You probably will not be able to get higher rpms if you get lower torque. This pipe is for good low and middle to high (8000 rpms) torque. I'm not sure a chainsaw engine will have such quality parts or rpm "balancing" for such a high rpm range as 13,000.

Hi Karolis,

Are you looking to acheive higher rpms or lower end torque? You probably will not be able to get higher rpms if you get lower torque. This pipe is for good low and middle to high (8000 rpms) torque. I'm not sure a chainsaw engine will have such quality parts or rpm "balancing" for such a high rpm range as 13,000.

I am sure it can reach high rpm since I have run it with the rear wheel lifted from the ground and the tachometer showed ~11000 rpm. As I wrote in my last post my current pipe is too small (and not tuned right) to get me up to those rpms. After reading Jaguar's response I have gone through some of the material he told me to read and I'll try to make a pipe that suits my engine. I will probably aim for 10k rpm because sometimes I have to travel longer distances therefore top speed would really help.

Max, you belittled Fabian for doubting your top speed but looking thru these posts I see that you doubted the torque pipe is a technological breakthrough. You are guilty of doubting lazylightnings claims just as much as Fabian is of doubting your speed claims. not good.
My site fully explains how/why an extended baffle cone elongates the return baffle wave which elongates the pipes powerband. The idea was new to me but since then I found two motorcycles that used the same idea; 1975 Husqvarna CR125, Kawasaki KDX200SR.
If you have never tried it then you dont really know what you are missing. It works super excellent!

Max, you belittled Fabian for doubting your top speed but looking thru these posts I see that you doubted the torque pipe is a technological breakthrough. You are guilty of doubting lazylightnings claims just as much as Fabian is of doubting your speed claims. not good.
My site fully explains how/why an extended baffle cone elongates the return baffle wave which elongates the pipes powerband. The idea was new to me but since then I found two motorcycles that used the same idea; 1975 Husqvarna CR125, Kawasaki KDX200SR.
If you have never tried it then you dont really know what you are missing. It works super excellent!

If it's this on your mind,( What is it that is so special about the exhaust pipe? sounds like an old moped.)What is that strange that wondered what kind of special about that torque pipe? It is simply to say what is so special f, right. I never said it would not work just that it sounds like an old moped! Do
lazylightning@mail.r think it was rude, so I apologize him

@ max350

Jaguar has been delivering good designs for the motorized bicycle community, as have others looking to improve things.
Although i have not tried his torque pipes (but wished that i could, if it were not for law enforcement issues) he has delivered on the Jaguar CDI from my experience.
I have not had any more detonation related big end connecting rod bearing failures, and my last 2-stroke bottom end made it to 10,000 kilometers (6,000) miles under greater load and stress than most people place on their engine during it's operational life.

As opposed to many people who talk about making things happen, Jaguar "HAS" made things happen; being an improvement on standard design and componentry.

Fabian, the legal limits of a motorized bike dont say anything about a tuned pipe. You may argue that it would push the horsepower over the limit but I would disagree. It gives "down low" power, not peak horsepower.
I still think you are shooting yourself in the foot.
ps- your inbox is full

It's got nothing at all to do with power and "everything" to do with perception. An expansion chamber hanging off the side of the bike is one "huge" red flag to police officer in my location, and as i have discussed previously, a few of my friends are police officers, and perception of legality is everything, just like people who accessorise their car with large wheels, reduced ride height and noisy exhaust systems, make themselves a "target" to a police officers eye, then wonder why they keep getting road worthiness defect certificates.

How many times do i have to say it - perception of legality is everything to a police officers eyes, and an expansion chamber hanging off the side of the bike screams out in big bold letters that the engine isn't remotely legal in a product designed to be a motorised assist bicycle.

As things stand, the fines for riding an over specification motorised bicycle amount to around $2,500 in my location, and i am taking a risk every day just riding my bike - thankfully the Chinese 2-stroke engine is slim in width, hence not noticeable from the rear of the bike. The last thing i want to do is become a flashing beacon to a police officer by having an expansion chamber hanging off the side of the bicycle.

I hope we are clear on this issue and i don't have to keep repeating myself.

Last edited:
I can make an expansion chamber less visible than the standard pipe. Just run it down just under the crank. "hanging off the side of the bike" WTF? not hardly.

i already replied to this. stupid net connection!

ahem.

yesterday, saw 14 yr old boy, no helmet, riding on wrong side of ride, no exhaust(*!), iphone in one hand, almost get hit twice in the space of 100 metres.

typical south western suburbs of sydney, where only a few weeks ago a boy killed himself on one of these.

in conclusion, the petrol days are numbered...in australia at least.

go electric, if needing low down power, discreteness, and staying within "legality" is such a concern.

(i went as far as to suggest a solar panel on all these trailers... or even carting around a small inverter generator. no law on carting around generators. its output power of the drive motor(s). not input power. a motor may USE 2000+ watts, but when stalled...the output POWER is nothing. just gobs and gobs of TORQUE.... anyway, off topic. i shut up)

the HT is illegal, even without the expansion chamber. dont gimme any of that 200 watts limited nonsense, they produce more than that and always will until dead.

both myself and jaguar can tuck pipes in without too much stress. i go over as i simply cant find the space between cranks and the rear wheel, whilst retaining ideal dimensions. ie, i usually want about 70 mm diameter at that point. other than making an s bend up in the header, anyway. (strangely the worst designed pipe, that i did "shape" to fit down there...also seemed to be the fastest...)

myself personally have always stayed within the width of standard cranks.

despite having ridden over the harbour bridge a few times...the only attention i attract is when i stop and get off, exposing all to the world :)

gee, id love a link to that cone download that is on two stroke wizard pro. im starting to see just how much i lost when my computer failed...single install license programs are a b!tch! the new cone download via a search is 21 day limited. i hate buying things twice! that is all.

Back