Tapping threads in engine to u.s standard

Was a steel bolt. And I used a plug tap to get it started and used a bottoming tap to run it out but not fully to the bottom so if I over tighten I don't pull the threads out like cake.

Here is an additional 2 cents of observation. . . .

Long ago, I also stripped the threads of the cheap engine I had. Studs were 6mm. I almost threw away the engine, but I decided to try something out of the ordinary. (Kind of like how most of us could describe ourselves.)

I drilled out the head and the cylinder case to accept 5/16 inch fine thread Grade 8 bolts, four inches long as I recall, readily available from Ace Hardware. I used the recommended twist drill for the tap. The drill did break through the thin side wall casting, but not enough to affect finished product. I tightened the bolts to 8 ft-lbs each. The head has not been pulled since and I put well over 1300 miles on that engine, with some threads showing and all.

It is possible to go to larger bolts, but maybe only one size.

Yes since my mounting doesn't require me to use the front engine mounts I could drill out the rear mounts to 5/16 or use a 1/4 20 heli cool if it breaks. Thanks for the story that's very helpful

Well I just thought id let you guys know that I just got it to run and took a soon around the block. This thing is totally bad ***. Thanks for everything guys

Great photo Cavi, but, what really needs to be shown is a similar photo of 6mm stripped threads, repaired with a 1/4" tap.
It would be a much more graphic illustration of compromised repair, for it will really bring to light such marginal fastening power.

steel bolt?
what grade is the question i was asking.
grade 2 = a little tougher than peanut butter.
grade 5 = standard fasteners used almost anywhere
grade 8 = high strength,use in structural and high load,and more wear and corrosion resistant.
grade L9= super strength,caterpillar uses them as an example.

there are hundreds of bolt types,grades of stainless and steel.
so mentioning trashing threads on a bolt threaded into aluminum tells me the bolt was of a low quality.
be selective when putting new bolts into your machine,charts and descriptions are available all over the web.
i have a reference book somewhere,its full of useful information,i keep it in my toolbox.

Well the fact that I ruined the threads in my engine doesn't even matter. My parents bought me a 2011 Yamaha r6 so I'm ditching the mb

At the end of all the assistance and good info you recieved from the people here and arguing about how you did no damage to the engine. Mommy and Daddy bought you a motorcycle and then you admit the threads are ruined?? I do have one or two choice words for you but forum rules and general decorum prohibit me from using them.:eek:

One thing is for sure, crashing the R6, and lets be perfectly clear about this: the R6 "WILL" be crashed, and also lets be perfectly clear about this: the pain "WILL" be so, so, so very much greater than crashing a motorised bicycle,

and also lets be perfectly clear about this: parental responsibility and the purchase of an R6 (which will be crashed) is questionable behaviour.

Back