Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

what laws are you talking about ????
2 strokes don't really have emission problems.
not really much more than 4 strokes...
my tanaka has a cat-converter and meets calf. air standards...

I'll be the first one to say that I don't know a whole ton about small engines yet. I just saw a bunch of folks mention that 2-strokes have a bad exhaust problem and I happened on that muffler there with a built-in catalytic converter which would help with that problem.

The laws I was referring to are the laws that classify a bike with a gas motor as a moped.

this thread is the main reason I like my GEBE setup...

Cops (at least in my area) are far less likely to see me as an unregistered moped driver with a rack mounted, 35cc, 4 stroke weedwhacker motor above my wheel. I too just start pedaling when I see them. It's 105 degrees here right now and I think they have more pity on the "poor guy riding A BICYCLE IN THE HEAT" than anything else.

cops

I have been stoped by clear lake pd and all thay wanted was to know if i could bild them one and for how much ,la porte pd just looks the other way,so does pasadena

Geeky .. If your worried about 2 strokes get you a Robin 35 cc 4 stroke ...
Very nice high quality engine.. no mixing oil and gas. it's just like a car engine.
has it's own oil in the crankcase and you can use gas right out of the pump..

Geeky, I run (3) motorized bicycle kits on a rotational basis in Austin (GEBE 25.4CC Komatsu, Staton with a Mitsubishi TLE43, and a Grube SkyHawk GT5). I commute 25 miles daily, 6 days a week and have rolled up alongside APD, and DPS many times without a problem. The only thing I'm afraid of is going faster than 40 MPH and being seen by law enforcement. I guess just as long as your 2-stroke's not kicking up too much smoke they will just let you be. I rode ALL summer during that heat wave/drought and all of my bikes are holding up well except for the Grube. Get a GEBE if you want to stay "Green".

I'm planning on building a motorized mountain bike. No pedals though, it's gonna be all motor. I don't plan to ride it in the streets at all, just on the shoulder in the grass on a short commute to work. Only time I'll be on the street is to cross intersections, in my neighborhood, and in the parking lot at work.

I know the whole deal behind this is the registration and inspection - the state needs to make their profits on that, and of course the insurance deal which I understand...but I really won't be on the road at all. The path I take is no different than that of a foot power bike. It's gonna be a 4 stroke and I plan on a really quiet muffler for it so I don't draw much attention.

What do you guys think ? I'm in Austin by the way, and thankfully not in the downtown area.

Last edited:
I think

if it has no pedals it's a motercycle !!!!!
Build a moterized bike instead, no insurance, no inspection, no tags,
no hassle...

I really like your idea: "Its a bicycle."

Dimension motors can be found at www.monsterbicycle.com. They have several models and modifications available for standard bicycles. I think they are 49cc so they should be legal.

I would check with a lawyer if you are going to have to keep riding through there, (college areas are always so sovietized, wTF?). I would hope it can just be a bicycle if you are riding without deploying the motor onto the wheel or gears, and not running it.

America is choking itself to death with stupid laws and anti-American legislators. www.overlawyered.com
www.wvwnews.net

Interesting, I have passed over 25 police officers in North Texas. I don't approach them or talk to them and I always go ahead and work the pedals if I see them b (shortened quote) . Your honor, it's a bicycle, Your Honor, It's a bicycle. It's a Schwinn just like your grandson probably rides. Oh that... That's just for assist. And Judge, It's over 200 MPG. You should get one!!!

Back