Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

Go back to post one. He's saying that a common bicycle, with a motorized assist kit added, is being called a motorcycle or moped by texas cops/courts, and he got fined because there is a dead end for legalizing his machine. It would cost him so much to get it legalized, that he might as well buy a car or motorcycle, which is what the commies want: more taxes, more license, more ability to harass, cite, or confiscate.

if it has no pedals it's a motercycle !!!!!
Build a moterized bike instead, no insurance, no inspection, no tags,
no hassle...

re: Deck on bicycle/scooter

If you made a 1.5 foot long deck and welded it to the left chainstay and seatstay, where you could stand on it and "scoot" the bike, would that qualify? (make sure you have pedaling clearance for your heel.)

well ... this is good to know being that i live in texas as well ... but ive yet to have any trouble with any law enforcement ... we even have these makeshift carshow things in the parking lot some times and ive been there a couple times with it and a member of the PD in town frequents them (hes got a real nice camaro) ... what i have done so far is just not ask.. i knew theres a bunch of stipulations and such as you mentioned and id rather just keep it no big deal here in town...

whats funny is i had read that motor assisted thing before and was even talking about it today with a good friend of mine about how and what kind of deck you could put on the bike and basically decided that i would do it ... and then i read this ... so ill keep you updated on the whole scooter deck thing ... im hoping it comes out even more "moped" like with it - like an old PUCH - but alsoput me into the power assisted scooter realm...

I don't believe a 49cc engine running on gas and 50:1 ashless 2 stroke oil makes anything like the emissions of a large family car or pickup, esp one that doesn't get tuned up.

And even if it is the same as a car, it gets 200 mpg and allows a cheap way for workers to travel.

What will happen if we don't stand together on these efficient machines and freedom to run them?

True. These Chinese 2-cycle engines probably pollute as much as 50 cars in terms of particulate emissions.

Pollution isn't a legal problem in Texas. If it was, the problem is solved easily enough by using a 4-cycle engine with a catalyst or any EPA CARB approved engine. As soon as I get approval for MBs on campus, I'll be switching to a Honda GX50 4-cycle setup.

As more of a general update:

TAMU PD is still prosecuting MB riders. It is becoming clearer as to why MBs are such a problem on campus. There are a number of MB riders around here with obviously illegal rigs. A few that I have seen are quite capable of speeds greater than 50 mph without pedaling. These riders have been videotaped weaving in and out of traffic like an irresponsible sport-bike rider. Accidents and injuries from MBs have been reported for both motor vehicles and pedestrians on campus.

It's not fair, but it's understandable. These illegal bikes and operation DO need to be policed for the safety of everyone else on the road.

I have not got anywhere with Spencer Giles (county attorney for transportation affairs). I'm going to write a letter to the elected County Attorney.

I was going to just take this whole mess to court with a new set of citations, but the appeal process is expensive and I cannot afford a lawyer. The point of my MB was to save money on parking and gas!

To the origional poster- make 2 little platforms on the rear triangle for your feet. Make them strong enough. You then will have a bike that complies.

i had a little chat with an officer from the Austin Police department earlier today. He was on call to a disturbance at my apartment complex and saw me outside working on my bikes. he told me my bikes looked cool and asked about some basic information about them. he commented that not a lot of cyclists out there were aware of the laws and noticed how my bikes all seem to be compliant. i told him i commuted 6 days a week, 24-25 miles a day. i'm running a 25cc bike with dual head lights and dual tail lights and full reflectors on front, back, and wheels. he told me they pretty much leave motorized cyclists alone as long as they stay under 30 mph, obey traffic laws (not running stop signs or signal lights, not weaving in and out of traffic) and using lights when it's dark. Good information to know for those of you in Austin.

cpuaid, what motor kit do you have please?

You said it was clearly legal and 25cc, plus running lights! What kit is it, and how do you like it? You can link to a review or just post. Thanks.

Thats cool that the police are being nicer. Police around colleges are usually much tougher about traffic violations for some reason, esp parking! That I understand, but why bother moped or bicycle riders. My friends call them ALMO's (Auxiliary Light weight Motorized Outfits) and joke about its "ALMOS" a motorcycle, but definitely not! for legal purposes.

happycheapskate, its an old GEBE kit with a 25cc Zenoah Komatsu Strato Charged engine (Redmax), i was a little reluctant when i first got it because of the small engine size (been used to running 66cc HT's and 43cc TLE-43) but it has become my primary commuting bike. it's mounted on a cheap Aluminum framed full suspension MB which had stronger spokes than normal bikes. I have a top speed of 33 MPH (27 MPH normal cruising speed, pedal assist on speeds lower than 18 MPH) and get about 220 MPG on this little thing. the engine is small enough where it barely gets a second glance. some pictures can be seen on my photo album.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=593

Cpuaid

Thanks for the reply. I am very new to motorized bikes. I like the GEBE (Golden Eagle?) bike.

I think it is ironic that Americans encounter so much beauracracy just to use such a simplified motor kit bike, when the politicians are b&m'ing about "global warming" and the country strains under the unrealistic population (skipping the politics here, but that should be agreeable) demands for transportation resources. Its Ironic because "3rd world" countries seem to have thrived by using these devices when cars were so difficult to obtain for most of the residents.

I think its exciting because Americans are getting back on board with these machines and there is a movement to lobby for free/cheap road use or against taxation and licensing of them.

Remember, if you have to pay to use something, and the state can confiscate it if you don't, it is a tax or tribute, and you have given the item to the government. You cede ownership! If you have to pay and repay every year it is not registration, it is tracking! If it has to be inspected and you are not accused of any crime, than you are being subjected.

Last edited:
I liked the style of the whitewalled cruiser bike a lot. Too bad you got a lemon!

I don't want the motor between my legs or the gas tank on the top tube, so I am inclined to support the back-rack or front rack friction wheel and belt designs. The chain and cog designs look heavy and difficult to disengage. So far the Golden Eagle and the Dimension Edge/monster bicycle motor have my interest! I like how the Dimension kits can be sped up or slowed down by changing rollers.

Back