Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

Depends what part of TX usually.If you're driving courteously/safely you'll usually not get a second glance.If you're really concerned, remember frame-mounts are likely top draw more attention as they LOOK like a motorcycle, rack-mounts can be visually hidden.If it's a stupid law, break it, just don't get caught.A deck means not only a place for your feet but something to protect you from rocks, pedals won't cut it.

Yeah, in a city like corpus I imagine it's easier to get away with it. But I'm in Austin, and I've been pulled over on a bike for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, so I've been trying to make sure I do things legit around here.

Id like to get the laws for motorized bikes in texas to be what they are in California...get it registered as a MB and all the jazz...I could care less if I paid $25 to do it like in California but at least they are allowed lawfully where as in Texas its actually a city by city thing. I spoke to a gentlemen awhile back and he told me that unless there is a city ordinance against them they are legal. He also said to carry about the Texas transportation code 551(or was it 515)...crap have to look again but either way...your good in Texas but really would love to rally someone who is pretty good with how to propose stuff to the city officials and get something passed to help MB and if it means helping the state make more money I'm good with it as long as I don't have to worry about anyone giving me the stink eye because they don't know how the law is represented.

motorized trailer?

I was thinking about getting a motoped for commuting but now I'm thinking about a motorized trailer. Hmm?

Sorry, I got here late after the party was well underway.

Go here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

In the search window it asks to select the Code Section.

The one applicable is "Transportation Code"

Everything, and I mean everything in the Transpiration Code is involved in Transportation or specifically excluded.

What is TRANSPORTATION?

The removal of goods or persons from one place to another, by a carrier. See Railroad Co. v. Pratt, 22 Wall. 133, 22 L. Ed. 827; Interstate Commerce Coin'n v. Brimson, 154 U. S. 4 17. 14 Sup. Ct. 1125, 38 L. Ed. .1047; Gloucester Ferry Co. v. Pennsylvania, 114 U. S. 100, 5 Sup. Ct. S26, 29 L. Ed. 158. In criminal law. A species of punishment consisting in removing the criminal from his own country to another, (usually a penal colony.) there to remain in exile for a prescribed period. Fong Yue Ting v. U. S., 149 U. S. 698, 13 Sup. Ct. 1016, 37 L. Ed. 005

Law Dictionary: What is TRANSPORTATION? definition of TRANSPORTATION (Black's Law Dictionary)

What is a carrier?

carrier

n. in general, any person or business which transports property or people by any means of conveyance (truck, auto, taxi, bus, airplane, railroad, ship), almost always for a charge. The carrier is the transportation system and not the owner or operator of the system. There are two types of carriers: common carrier (in the regular business or a public utility of transportation) and a private carrier (a party not in the business, but agrees to make a delivery or carry a passenger in a specific instance). Regular transportation systems are regulated by states and by the Interstate Commerce Commission if they cross state lines. (See: common carrier, private carrier)

Are you a carrier?

Are you involved in transportation?

If not, why are you reading and/or following the Texas "Transportation Code"?

You don't belong there.

Before appearing in Court, I suggest that you file a motion to dismiss on the grounds that your motorized bike is not involved in transportation.

I am giving my logical conclusions and NOT legal advice.

Consult an attorney if you do not wish to proceed on your own.

What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I say your "LOGIC", is flawed, possibly your whole thought pattern.You keep beating the maggots left by the dead horse.
All you do is post exact laws, and interpret them your own way.Test it, or do you just spout?
YOU ARE A PERSON
YOUR FLAT ASS AND BARREL BELLY ARE ON THE BIKE
YOU ARE INVOLVED IN TRANSPORTING YOURSELF
Please,... PLEASE go get some tickets, document everything from and up to the dismissal of your cases, THEN come back here.
I saw the law forum you were banned from had the same problem with you, and you stated "I'm too chicken to do that" in regards to testing it on yourself.So put up or shut up, money where mouth it, walk and talk it, or is it all just hot air??

Also, not everyone lives where there's so many attorneys that consults are free.So you expect people who can barely afford a HT and bike to pay to see if they should chance getting in more monetary trouble.You SOUND like an attorney!

Last edited:
Do Harley Davidson Motorcycles have Motors?

Words are slightly important.

YOU ARE INVOLVED IN TRANSPORTING YOURSELF.

O.K. I must be a Transportation Carrier.

If I am in the Transportation business, when I am transporting myself, what are the charges and who do I invoice?

Do Harley Davidson Motorcycles sell motors or engines?

Do words mean nothing to you? Do you make up definitions that suit you, or do you follow the law?

I am 76, I was stopped for tickets more than a couple of times, I never was found guilty.

My driving record of almost 60 years has zero points.

I must have been doing something right in Court.

I drive the drive.

Do Harley Davidson Motorcycles have Motors?

Words are slightly important.

O.K. I must be a Transportation Carrier.

If I am in the Transportation business, when I am transporting myself, what are the charges and who do I invoice?

Do Harley Davidson Motorcycles sell motors or engines?

Do words mean nothing to you? Do you make up definitions that suit you, or do you follow the law?

I am 76, I was stopped for tickets more than a couple of times, I never was found guilty.

My driving record of almost 60 years has zero points.

I must have been doing something right in Court.

I drive the drive.
A Harley is not an MAB, but OK, I'll take you at your word, if you show some proof, of all these "not guilty" dismissals you received,
you'd want to read that if you were me, no?I mean got to make sure.
You're the one hung up on words.Honestly, NO, words don't mean anything to me:
I will say that again "WORDS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME".Action not words, like your lack of getting and beating MAB tickets.
This is one of the reasons words mean little, people can twist them up to their own means.I asked you "please" go get some tickets, you twist it , "oh I got plenty on my harley" when you know good and damn well we're talking about MAB's.You wax all poetic about "people not knowing the truth" like some preacher, physics is the only truth, the man made stuff is fictional, in constant flux, and your "interpretations" won't change that.
Prove your point on a gas powered MAB, in FL receive, and get dismissed, multiple cases ON YOUR MAB, then spout. Otherwise, AGAIN, you talk it, but don't walk it.
So why are you selling and going electric?It's cut and dried, isn't it?

Back