The Buiding of the Andian!!!

No pix yet. I got the engine installed, along with all of the hardware. I'm sure that with no fenders and after you've done a few of these installs, you might be able to cut it down to a couple of hours but, took me most of the day to get it all assembled. then again, I was also running some extra wires and installing taillights, re-greasing bearings and such. Got the kit's gas tank installed. Doesn't look too bad but, it surely doesn't have the look of the other tank. I'll be doing some more stuff tomorrow, like installing my ignition switch (yup, it'll have a key) and tieing up some loose ends like making my own exhaust. Hopefully I'll hear it run tomorrow and I'll have some pix too.

I do have one question for you veterans. My clutch arm almost sticks out past the engine and I'm afraid that the clutch cable will get into my ankle at some point. Is there a way to re-clock the clutch arm or can I simply grind a little off of the rod that goes into the clutch? I'd just like to get the end of that cable away from my ankle!

It runs!!!

I got the Andian running tonight. Down side was that it was too dark to really go riding. It was great, the kids were so excited and were riding their scooters next to me as I was trying to get it to start.

Turned out that my throttle wasn't seating completely. The grip had some flashing from the mold and it wasn't letting it go completely shut. Got that fixe and she's running great. I'll try and get a little running in tomorrow.

I only had one bummer. The chain jumped off one time and I'm not sure why. I checked everything again and the idler didn't move or anything. I trued up the sprocket as close as possible so i'm not sure what caused it. I've driven it a little bit afterward and everything seems good. We'll see tomorrow.

Here's the latest. I bent up an exhaust system for it using the muffler and some 3/4 inch EMT conduit. Buying the bender was the hardest part. $40!!!

The ignition that I got with my other tank is connected in to the blue wire and I put it under the seat, like some of the old motorcycles I've seen. I also have the light switch mounted right next to it.

I re-did the way the headlight was fastened on and I'm still not sold on it. I think it still sits a little too high. I just ordered a speedometer so when I mount that, I'll see about positioning everything. I'm still waiting for the fuel valve to show up for my tank, then it will be pretty well completed, except for some front drum brakes. THEN, it'll be done, except for...:D

Engine is getting broken in great. It has great torque, all things considered. I got the headlight wired so now I've got to remove the rear wheel to run the wire for the taillight. Then it's done... except for....

Attachments

• Front2.jpg
    Front2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 205
  • switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 185
Andy, Looking Good, Waiting For The Valve And The "big Tank"! Thanks For The Pic Of Your Street Rods, Will Return With Some Of Mine. Ron

I got my Ebay speedometer today and installed it. I also reversed the handlebars to the stock position. I did that so that I could lower the post (and headlight) so that it didn't look so tall. I like it better and, my legs don't get caught under the handlebars anymore if I am pedaling.

I adjusted the clutch a little bit so that it doesn't drag when the clutch is locked in. So far, it has just been little things that I've tinkered with, making the bike more fun to ride. If it keeps like this, I'll have a lot of fun with this thing. Already thinking of my second build! :D

Fuel valve showed up today!!! BUT, it was the wrong size.... New one should be here by next week. I'm dying to see this think completed with the tank on it! :cool:

On a side note, I went out helmet shopping today. Gonna get me one. Just a matter of which one.

Good looking bike - tuned pipe might give it a little more go though, just a suggestion.

Re the fork - I learned through experience to make it softer sprung than you would expect - overdamping on that fork gives your wrists ****.

The longest ride I did regularly on mine was around 25 miles round trip and you really notice the difference especially when the roads are more pothole than road...

Still planning my US trip - now I'm all healed up finally.

Jemma xx

Hi Jemma, Often Wondered What You Was Up To. I Remember You Stating That You Were Not Feeling The Best. We Don`t Have Many Lady`s . You Sure Know Mechanics. Good To Hear From You. Ron

Back