The Jura Big Fifty build, evolution, repair and a-ha moments

26insh

awesome build but how did you get the "moped" plate? Did you have to get it inspected? My Wildfire is plated but its on the "approved list"

J

Old Busted Hotness

Nope, just showed up at the BMV. Had a little bit of what's the VIN-there is no VIN-but what's the VIN-there is no VIN-let me get my supervisor but it went thru in the end.

For a motorcycle plate, it WOULD have to be inspected by the highway patrol and they'd issue a VIN. But then they'd want it to take an emissions test, and it would have to have OBD-II to pass that, and I don't know how the hell you'd get OBD-II to work with a carb and magneto. In the end it was more realistic to plate it as a moped, because that's what it is.

I found a sidewall bubble in the rear tire, so I replaced them both. Never knew you could get a bubble in a tubed tire. Turns out the rubber around the wire bead is super thin (thanks Duro) and it parted. Then the plies started to separate. No way I'm riding on that, so I upgraded to Felt Thick Bricks. Really hard to find tires in 24x3, especially if you want whitewalls.

Last edited:

Old Busted Hotness

Man, I thought I had a kickass idea: Cheap-ass Amazon kick-start lever mounted on the pedal shaft going to the rope starter. Many problems (starting with just getting the right-side pedal off). Kick-starter lever spun the pedal shaft a little, not too bad (I greased the hell out of it) but it was too easy to get tangled in the pedal. Lift the bike and move the pedal, an aggravation but not a deal breaker. Hard to get enough velocity to actually start the engine, that's a deal breaker. And the rope failed while I was trying, that's two and a half deal breakers. Oh well, it was a good way to kill time on a holiday morning.

Frogslayer

Kick start on the pedal shaft that pulls the recoil rope? Man your herb must be better than mine lol. Nice bike man. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and truth of what worked and what didn't. That Springer fork looked so cool but if you don't feel safe riding it you need a huge desk for a paper weight that big. I'm glad you went back to the other forks and kept at it. I imagine a four stroke with belt drive is as smooth as it gets. Besides electric of course.

Old Busted Hotness

I put the springer on my MTB, which is an old wreck anyway. And the original MTB fork makes a decent wheel workstand. Nothing gets wasted around here (except me).