Time for a new jug....

Neo_Epoch

Local time
5:17 PM
Anybody have any decent tips on what to look for in a new cylinder body/jug?

Exhaust stud snapped at the face of the exhaust manifold and when extracting, drilling and tapping the hole, this happened...

20171126_212341.jpg
20171126_212447.jpg

There's not alot of wall left on thhe bottom but you may still get a heli coil in there,If not it's pretty hard to pick the jug you want when ordering one unless you go to the vender in person.Jugs with thicker more even fins not thinned out at the edges usualy have less casting flaws,look to see if stud holes are centered properly,And that it's the same height as the one being replaced there is around 1mm difference in the two types.

Yes, I was tapping for a heli to go in there. Not much meat on the casting for the heli to grab and hold onto :(

Just out of curiosity, there wouldn't happen to be a way to fill the hole and crack, drill and tap a new hole from the fill?

on many of these on that side, there is room the break off some of the fin behind there and drill right thru to outside

gives a bit more room to put in threads or make a thin steel nut to go behind

Anybody have any decent tips on what to look for in a new cylinder body/jug?

Exhaust stud snapped at the face of the exhaust manifold and when extracting, drilling and tapping the hole, this happened...

View attachment 80116 View attachment 80117
1. The spacing of the intake studs. their are 40mm and 32mm jugs so you want to make sure the one you order is going to fit your intake.
2. Some jugs are 69.5mm tall and some are 70.5mm tall, What type piston is in your bike the left is A type the right is B type. The right B type takes a jug made for gt5/skyhawk engines 69.5mm tall.View media item 60316

Thanks for the replies, every bit is a learning annex for me and I f***ing love it :D the world of motor biking just seems to tweak my intellect just right and it's like a sense of awesomeness to build and repair something I use every day like that.

Back to topic, I'll take a look and see how much meat is left behind it to slip in a nut.

As far as the piston, I'll pull the cyl back off and check it out after work tonight.

Thanks for the replies, every bit is a learning annex for me and I f***ing love it :D the world of motor biking just seems to tweak my intellect just right and it's like a sense of awesomeness to build and repair something I use every day like that.

Back to topic, I'll take a look and see how much meat is left behind it to slip in a nut.

As far as the piston, I'll pull the cyl back off and check it out after work tonight.
I know what you mean. It got under my skin right away. I was always a gear head, but that was all 4 strokes. These 2 strokes are interesting as hell.

Ok, so I got in from work at around 3am and hadn't pulled the cylinder off yet. After thought, I'm gonna pick up some jb weld and kinda reshape the exhaust so that the bolt holes are center. This should buy me some time in getting another cylinder (so wifey isn't complaining that my ride to work is more of a project than a method) I'll throw up a new thread on the process.

1. The spacing of the intake studs. their are 40mm and 32mm jugs so you want to make sure the one you order is going to fit your intake.
2. Some jugs are 69.5mm tall and some are 70.5mm tall, What type piston is in your bike the left is A type the right is B type. The right B type takes a jug made for gt5/skyhawk engines 69.5mm tall.View media item 60316

I have a type A piston with a zae50 rod. Did some googling on the rod and found some decent info here:

https://ozarkcruisers.com/resources/66cc_engine_specifications/cylinders-pistons/

Here is also a pic of the piston and rod

20171128_150804.jpg
20171128_150738.jpg

Back