Tips for Long Distance Traveling- WEIGHT CONTROL

Grizzlies!

Here in B.c. we do have grizzlies (bears) in some areas-- so what i have done is tie your food in a tree about half mile from camp --guns wont help much at night-also they like toothpaste-you can shoot them and they still keep coming because their heartbeat is only 4 beats a minute--i carry bear spray but in high bear areas i usually try to camp in a patroled ranger area--my planned route up our interior definitely has grizzlies in some areas going north about 750 miles total route 1500 miles end of May. Plan on pulling my single wheel trailer--iam used to mountain backpacking so i find bicycle camping a snap cus you dont have to carry it on your back!! i got a good Subaru 35cc Staton kit now as last year i aborted my trip because my China girl bored itself thru the frame in 2 places and then 100 miles later seized up but then lucky i was home !

Last edited:
I am admittedly, a softy. But from a practical standpoint, and if you have a lot of money, it would be great to stay in a cheap motel each night. One could travel quite a bit lighter and keep the bike in the room. Most motels cost about $50 a night so it could get costly. Otherwise, staying with friends along the way would accomplish the same thing. What a fun time it would be to do a long distance run on a MB!

I went though the Port of Entry at Price, Utah, and they had a scale for trucks and I went though the scales twice, and both times in read 220 pounds, so since i weigh about 140, the motorized tour bike weighs 80, which is kind of what i guess. I had a mimimal amount of food and water.

Back