Tire Grooving: Opinions

Well I had to cut the side lugs off to get them on the bike anyhow. Soo I own these suckers.

Well I decided to do surgery. A little over 1lbs of weight can be removed on the tire, without getting crazy.

It helped the bike. But where I really noticed a improvement was in the loose over hard pack gravel. I still need to cut the front tire.
20231021_150323.jpg

Grooved the front tire today. Also decided to cut the other 72 side lugs. Believe I got about 3lbs total off of both tires.

I got to see if the postmaster will weigh my trimmings. I dont trust the old bathroom scales at that low of weight.

Heres a pic of the front tire & a side view of the rear tire to highlight the side lugs.
20231022_191901.jpg
20231022_192000.jpg

Grooved the front tire today. Also decided to cut the other 72 side lugs. Believe I got about 3lbs total off of both tires.

I got to see if the postmaster will weigh my trimmings. I dont trust the old bathroom scales at that low of weight.

Heres a pic of the front tire & a side view of the rear tire to highlight the side lugs. View attachment 201516View attachment 201517
You've made some mud diggers your gonna have awesome traction in any type of terrain (y)

OK now stop, don't remove any more rubber :LOL:

You've made some mud diggers your gonna have awesome traction in any type of terrain (y)

OK now stop, don't remove any more rubber :LOL:
No I'm done. They are way more stable/positive on pavement now. Before I grooved them I felt like the tires were going to wash out from under me in a hard corner on pavement.

I'm happy with the results, they perform better & look better now in my eyes.

No I'm done. They are way more stable/positive on pavement now. Before I grooved them I felt like the tires were going to wash out from under me in a hard corner on pavement.

I'm happy with the results, they perform better & look better now in my eyes.
Yeah I see your point, I was also thinking the knobbies on the sides of the tire would make ya wash out ,
especially on those steep embankments :LOL:

Good job on the tread grooving, I see now there was a method to your madness

Yeah I see your point, I was also thinking the knobbies on the sides of the tire would make ya wash out ,
especially on those steep embankments :LOL:

Good job on the tread grooving, I see now there was a method to your madness
I have learned a lot grooving this tire. It amazed me at how much this helped traction. It also helped ride quality, it got rid of the tank thump in the tires.

My biggest goal was to cut weight on them, but learned a couple valuable lessons along the way.

BTW they throw rocks! You may not want to ride behind me!!!🤣😂🤣

When you first had those tires installed, the big lugs looked kind of shiny. I was going to comment they looked slippery on the pavement which sounds like they where.
Some how I thought you where just going to cut narrow sips but the large grooves look like they will work great.
You have done a masterful job of making an all around tire out of them. Well done.

When you first had those tires installed, the big lugs looked kind of shiny. I was going to comment they looked slippery on the pavement which sounds like they where.
Some how I thought you where just going to cut narrow sips but the large grooves look like they will work great.
You have done a masterful job of making an all around tire out of them. Well done.
Thanks Robe! At least the tires are still usable, not just a big pile of rubber on the floor.🤣😂🤣

Back