Titan, won't idle

S

skyl4rk

I have a Dax Titan 50 four stroke, about a year old. It will run and ride, but when you turn off the choke, the motor won't idle, it will just die. I try feathering the throttle but it doesn't keep it going.

I took off the carb, pulled out the needle and generally sprayed it with carb cleaner, put it back on and same thing.

The clutch seems to be dragging, the driveshaft always turns. I took off the clutch housing and pried the clutch pads around a bit, they seem to move OK. I started the motor without the clutch housing on and it still had the same problem, it dies when idling, it needs choke to keep running. The clutch still seems to be dragging. Its possible I did not align the clutch pads up correctly, I have not worked on a clutch before and don't really know what I am doing.

So I am thinking I have to solve the idle problem first and it seems like it is the carb. Next step is to take the carb apart and spray it down.

I haven't looked at the spark at all but it works when there is choke so I don't think that is the problem.

Any advice on how to get this thing to idle?

The choke needing to be partially applied to enable the engine to run is indicative of a leaky seal at the intake manifold.
Re seal the carb and all manifolding to the engine.

Your clutch bell is crooked or the bearing is shot in the transmission..
That is the main cause of a clutch problem . A cheap crooked bell,
A good replacement will cost a lot.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5828/.f

or

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3824/.f

All you need is the bell.
The dax clutch is 78 mm.
I belueve this will solve your clutch dragging problem

Well I tried to clean out the carb again, but no improvement. My theory is that gunk is in the carb and blocking fuel flow through the main jet. Serves me right for not having a fuel filter in place.

Anybody know what replacement carbs will work on this motor? Walbro or other types?

I have had good luck with buying carbs off of ebay, but I need to find out the right type to buy.

OK, Dax helped me out on this...

Under the idle adjustment screw is a black plastic cap. Jimmy it out and you will find the idle jet with an o-ring around it. The o-ring is a 4mm ID ring and is quite thin. Mine was mashed up a bit but I put it into place and reused it.

I blew out the jet with WD-40 and reinstalled, and the motor idles good now.

The plastic thing threw me because I have never seen a plastic carb jet before.

Thanks DAX!

The real lesson on this one is to install an inline fuel filter on the fuel line.

Back