To make a company or not to make a company

Hey there people of the internet I have a question to ask. I am ready to build a motorized bike but my problem is that I have to earn some money so I can build one. Due to the fact I have no support from parents (i'm 16). I thought it would be great if I make a business out of it and just built and sell bikes so I can earn myself enough money to build my own for myself. As I estimated I would be asking for 995 dollars per bike because I am going to sell it with a 4 stroke engine, a boost bottle, and wheels dedicated for motorized bikes. What I can also offer is to build a bike upon your preference and request and give you an estimation of how much it would cost to build and how much time it would take to build.

This is a 4 stroke your building? My 4 stroke cost $200 for the kit beach cruise bike $60 so if I can get what you got for less iam not going spend more my bike will do 1000km so will yours so no different except yours cost to much and I have had k mart wheels last for ever it going faster then a bikes ment to that kills the rims slow down before a bump and no problem as for getting sued you sell it as is here will sell cars like that you by it your problem from your home your not a shop and don't need to be to make the same money thay do. I sell you a push bike on eBay as is. it broke how do we know you didn't brake it nothing you can do it was as is

What's wrong with the wheels on that bike???? I've had good luck on bikes that are 50 years old!!! All coaster brakes, that's when stuff was made good and in Chicago

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 130
Also what's wrong with the stock 4 stroke carb???? I'm not trying to be an ass but seriously. Most the stuff that comes on the kits is pretty good. About the only thing wrong with the kits are the rag joints for the rear sprocket but even those are still useable.

Get on Craiglist, find a good, cheap old coaster brake Schwinn (Make sure it was a original Chicago), go through the wheels with new high speed chassis grease, new tires (Schwinn tires are fractional size tires, aka 26 2 3/8, don't get ANY decimal tires because they WILL NOT fit a fractional wheel) and there ya go!!! You have a great bike that will last forever. Even with a motor they still can take a beating. And you don't even have to have more than 120$ in a very strong bicycle

I have to ask, what would someone do to get banned from here?
ic engines on bicycles were banned here in nsw, australia. good fun. : ) just cus of one or two idiots that chose to ignore all the rules and died. no brakes, parents didnt want him to buy it, no helmet, riding on the footpath, didnt stop for police, rode across a main road without looking attempting to get away from police...one dead lowlife later...

alright so I found some parts and updated the craigslist ad

bike to be used: [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Oakwood-Mens-Cruiser-26-Inch/dp/B00P0UP15E/ref=pd_sbs_468_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51kx79L4BiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Z3JJKVHG5G3W3G2QGH1[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
brake lights: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Brake-Light-Black/dp/B013F55T6Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1464137898&sr=1-1&keywords=bike+brake+light

hub adapter: [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]http://www.amazon.com/Tooth-Sprocket-Adapter-Assembly-Diameter/dp/B00TUCO9U6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464060249&sr=8-2&keywords=hub+adapter+motorized+bike[/FONT]

engine kit: http://www.gasbike.net/collections/...al-edition-with-huasheng-49cc-4-stroke-engine

mirrors: http://www.amazon.com/Rearview-Hand...8&qid=1464054469&sr=1-19&keywords=bike+mirror

speedometer: http://www.amazon.com/SunLite-BA002...1464054567&sr=8-19&keywords=bike+turn+signals

turn signals: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FH7NMDW?psc=1

lights: http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Light...oor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1464057610&sr=1-13

cost: 511ish

and I will lower my craigslist ad to 714 dollars

and craigslist description:

This an assembled 4 stroke bike with great mpg, has suspension for a smooth ride, has a hub adapter for the extra longevity of the wheel and no stress on the spokes themselves, and goes 20+/- mph and speed and power can be increased through some modifications. If you wish to add any accessories you may email them to me and I will be glad to attach them for you but you must pay for them.
[/FONT]

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm glad your wanting to get started on something like this but your aiming to high. Start with a cheap cruiser Schwinn with coaster brake (not a new one)
Buy a 110$ eBay 2 stroke. Sell it for a profit.
Nothing else. No engine upgrades. Nothing. If you do then you won't be able to make as much profit. And there is nothing wrong with a 110$ eBay kit.... I still use them. Decently reliable (you still have to work on them. They are a 100$ engine don't expect much) I've rode a 25mile trip one way, full throttle and a lot of hills. Only problem was having enough gas to get back

I'm glad your wanting to get started on something like this but your aiming to high. Start with a cheap cruiser Schwinn with coaster brake (not a new one)
Buy a 110$ eBay 2 stroke. Sell it for a profit.
Nothing else. No engine upgrades. Nothing. If you do then you won't be able to make as much profit. And there is nothing wrong with a 110$ eBay kit.... I still use them. Decently reliable (you still have to work on them. They are a 100$ engine don't expect much) I've rode a 25mile trip one way, full throttle and a lot of hills. Only problem was having enough gas to get back

I did a 50km trip last night. WOT all the way except a few steep downhills where I shut off the engine and some woods road sections where road was too rough for 60kph. Didn't come close to using the tank of fuel, maybe less than half. This is more than 10 tanks of fuel, I am on my second 20 L jug of gas in this bike. No idea on how many miles overall but I think it has established reliability.

$50 used bike
$200 GT5A motor kit
$32 aftermarket head
$20 quieter muffler
Some sanding and grinding to the original head and ports. Lowered the float level and needle. Perhaps 100hrs of tinker time?

$302 into this bike, does 55-60 kph, will manage any highway hill on its own power.
full

It seems reliable, now.

What you are not factoring in is the many years of mechanical experience and the hours and hours of time to get it that way.

I think you would be hard pressed to put a kit together in 4 hours. It will take most of a day for the first couple bikes, especially if you have to massage the exhaust pipe and file the mounts to fit. So what is your dollar per hour return? I don't mean to stomp on your dreams but the world is full of unknowledgeable failed entrepreneurs who take dozens of unsuspecting customers down their sewer of failure. LEARN! Do what you know. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Mark Zuckerman were not kids that got lucky. They were brilliant, hard working and ambitious. They did what they knew best and had years of experience at it.

How many forum members have asked about tensioners slipping or low speeds or cracked tanks? These things are a result of poor mechanical skills and knowledge. It ain't just about tightening nuts y'know?

So when you make these mistakes and a customer's tensioner rips up the spokes and puts him in the hospital, what are you going to do about it? Hide behind a useless waiver?

Stupid hurts and it is not cheap. The risk vs reward is not there. Guys like KC Vale know their stuff, years of experience, beautiful builds and back it up with service. You do not have that ability. True knowledge is built from learning tested by experience. You have neither.

Start with a used bike (they are everywhere!) and a cheap 2 stroke kit and LEARN. That is exactly what I am doing. These bikes are a wonderful education, but you cannot sell "I DUNNO".

So what are you doing? Putting ads on Craigslist? For what? What are you offering? A dream? Vaporware?

I'd suggest if you had taken that lawnmower and rake door to door like I did as a kid, you would by now have the money to buy a cool powered bike.

Last edited:
I love youre enthuisiasm though you must slow down or you're going to loose lots of money. From what i have gathered you have yet to build you're first bike. If you plan to make a business, potential buyers will most definately want to ask for advice and currently you have none to give.

My advice is go with what others have recommended such as taking a lawnmower round neighbours, building you're own bike and learning from it over the next few months.

Dont waste money attempting to start a business on $$$ and no knowledge!

Take all the advice from the forum you can and i look forward to hear and see you're projects

Good luck

Scott

Back