Took magneto cover off

Joel beller

Local time
8:28 PM
When I took my magneto cover off the bottom two screws oil started dripping out magneto soaked with oil what is my problem now I was checking this out while I'm waiting on my new magneto and ignition coil coming in the mail was going to replace piston but everything looks good took the cover off in my magneto and oil was soaked in it what's my next step

You have a bad seal behind the magnet it’s on the crank shaft . That could be your problem right there. It needs to be replaced before you put new magneto on. Seals leaking you lose compression, plus oil shorts magneto out. Watch when taking magnet off make sure you put magnet on the right way and not backward. The magnet can be hard to get off but you can buy a gear puller or someone on here might have a better way. Good luck and be safe.

You have a bad seal behind the magnet it’s on the crank shaft . That could be your problem right there. It needs to be replaced before you put new magneto on. Seals leaking you lose compression, plus oil shorts magneto out. Watch when taking magnet off make sure you put magnet on the right way and not backward. The magnet can be hard to get off but you can buy a gear puller or someone on here might have a better way. Good luck and be safe.
So I should do that I was going to replace my piston but like I said before I took it apart my piston looks good the walls are good nothing's rubbing.new spark plug new carburetor waiting for new magneto and c.d.i box.I was just going down the list and then I was like let me take the cover off of the magneto and sure enough oil was sitting on the bottom of it and was dripping out magneto itself is soaking wet with oil. Is it easy to replace the seal cuz if I put new magneto in it will run but then I will run into the same issue correct because oil will soak the magneto.

Picture of magneto soaked with oil

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_090910.jpg
    IMG_20200918_090910.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 151
Yes plus you lose compression it might not run right . The seal needs to be fixed there really not hard to fix . There’s a woodruff key on shaft do not lose it . The woodruff key holds the magnet it’s place on crank shaft.

Yes plus you lose compression it might not run right . The seal needs to be fixed there really not hard to fix . There’s a woodruff key on shaft do not lose it .
Thank you that's what I'm having issues with not enough compression so there's my problem right there replace seal replace the magneto and I should crank right up

cuz I figure if Magneto's soaked with oil and when I touch it the oil just comes out there's no way it would get spark
Try to find where you can get a seal retainer to put behind the mag. I got mine from Ozark Cruisers. Look him up on FB.

Thank you that's what I'm having issues with not enough compression so there's my problem right there replace seal replace the magneto and I should crank right up
[/QU quick question can I buy that at a auto parts store. Crankshaft ring

Back