Trying to get/create a motorized 2-stroke 50cc bicycle

Well a 2 smoker is the same outside dimensions! Win 1,589,986 for the 2 stroke.

On a side note, I'm cutting up an occ stingray this weekend lol!

You could also get a basic bike and a 49cc 4 stroke belt transmission kit, 160-190$ on ebay, pull the cord and go.. no gas oil mixing no pedaling no hassle and you get decent speeds.

Could even go the cool way and get a occ chopper with a 4stroke kit with ya miniature ape hangers make everyone jelly on campus

Almost double the weight, almost double the required space, and almost half the power for almost 50% more than a 2-stroke doesn't sound super appealing to be entirely honest. If we were talking a 79cc predator 4 stroke I'd be more likely to agree with you :p but then again, maybe I'm spoiled by 5ish HP and 40+ mph speeds.
Slap a $50 centrifugal clutch on a 2 stroke and you eliminate 90% of the need to pedal (still gotta pedal start unless you buy the pull start attachment) and if you wanna look cool you can still do the occ chopper ape hangers with the benefit of a better sounding exhaust note (more louder = more better haha)

Where talking about enforcement just get a black or red sharpie and write 48cc they don't know no better. Lol. But in all seriousness don't do this they are smarter then this I think o_O i. mean some are pretty dumb.

In almost every motorized bicycle police encounter I've ever heard of the officer usually has no idea what the bike is and asks tons of questions. In a large chunk of those interactions the officers aren't even aware of what the laws govern these bikes which requires the rider to look it up and show the officer. I'd be willing to bet that the sticker would be enough for almost all encounters with LEO when pulled over going a reasonable speed.

Almost double the weight, almost double the required space, and almost half the power for almost 50% more than a 2-stroke doesn't sound super appealing to be entirely honest. If we were talking a 79cc predator 4 stroke I'd be more likely to agree with you :p but then again, maybe I'm spoiled by 5ish HP and 40+ mph speeds.
Slap a $50 centrifugal clutch on a 2 stroke and you eliminate 90% of the need to pedal (still gotta pedal start unless you buy the pull start attachment) and if you wanna look cool you can still do the occ chopper ape hangers with the benefit of a better sounding exhaust note (more louder = more better haha)

Your right on few things. 1. The centrifugal clutch pull rope for 2 stroke always breaks within first 10 pulls so not even worth judging it vs a 4 stroke.

A 49cc 4stroke one I had on my chopper got 35ish mph. Also let's stick to the occ chopper. you say it is cheaper but it is not... the 2 stroke you have to buy special mounts to offset that or make your own and that adds up and sometimes a muffler or someone to bend it for you.

where the 4 stroke you just buy 2 $1.50 2-1/5 flat style u bolts and your all set so in the end on the OCCCHOPPER the 4stroke is cheapper

Yes I know it has no chain pedal why because it did not need it because that is how 4 strokes work :p. Also my pedals where locked forward and used as pegz

Your right on few things. 1. The centrifugal clutch pull rope for 2 stroke always breaks within first 10 pulls so not even worth judging it vs a 4 stroke.
You're combining 2 separate items there. The centrifugal clutch goes on the clutch side of the motor and the pull start goes on the magneto side. I cannot disagree that the pull starts are typically complete garbage and if you manage to get a good one you'll end up breaking off the magneto side of the crankshaft. The beauty of the centrifugal clutch kit for the 2 strokes is that it has an internal sprag gear that allows for pedal starting so the only real need for a pull start is when you convert it to a scooter by disabling the pedal drive train.

Deleting the pedal chain is cool and all but in many areas in the US that immediately removes it from the motor-assisted bike classification and it's becomes a motor scooter which has its own set of requirements (license, sometimes insurance, sometimes registration) which kind of defeats the purpose. Now I'm not saying it's not cool, or that it wouldn't be fun to ride, I'm just saying that it takes away many of the privileges that you get by being a "non-motorized vehicle" like bike lanes, bike paths, driving without a license, etc. Chances are that isn't an issue for you, which is awesome, but for many of us this is a serious concern.

Didn't realize you were referencing an actual bike frame when you said occ chopper, I figured it was a reference to the general style of the orange county choppers motorcycle company and not referring to the Schwinn Stingray that comes with OCC decals. In your case, it was totally cheaper and easier to mount a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke. Those frames are all but made with a 4 stroke conversion in mind. When I'm done dealing with my legal BS, I'm planning on building a predator 212 bike off of that type of frame. However, I'd bet 90% or more of people building MBs can use the included 2-stroke hardware to mount their motors which makes the cheaper 2-stroke kits the more affordable option. Not to mention installation is a touch easier with not having to swap out to a wider crank set or mess with a transmission.

They both have their places in the world and one isn't truly better than the other in every way. I may have been too broad in my assertion that a 66cc is superior, my bias from owning one is clearly showing haha. A 4-stroke may be a bit heavier, more complicated, and a lower peak hp but there is no denying that they are far more reliable, easier to use on a day to day basis and have usable power across most of the powerband to make up for the lower peak hp. Plus 4-strokes typically have more torque which is a huge plus if you don't live in flat area.

Either way, your bike looks good and if it makes you happy that's all that really matters.

Last edited:
Back