twin carbs

Thank you HeadsMess.

I find it strange that most of the people who seem to know what they are talking about don't post in the forum any more. I've learned more from reading posts dated 05 2009 than I have from the individual that wants to be the pie eyed piper.
Even if he called him self EMNEM I wouldn't follow without some sound reasoning.
He's been given too much time and attention, so that's the end of that from my end.

Reading the other posts I've learned I have several issues. They didn't present them selves til after the bottles were installed...
A very tiny head gasket leak. Hit it with some gasket maker and my idle is down a little lower. Not quite where I want it/back to what it was, but the motor is quieter too.
Next time I'm in the motor I'll take a look at the base gasket too. If I have to glue the sucker shut, then that's what I'll have to do.
I'm waiting for the jet kit I ordered to come (why do I always order on holiday weekends I'll never understand. Just my bad timing). When they come in I'll be able to determine whether my main jet is too small for the dual bottle kit I installed or did I just go over board with the dual vs a single. I did order the pair for 49cc...

Better sealing the head gasket so far has increased my top speed from 26 to 28mph to 29 to 32mph. That will improve my fuel economy as I'm spending more time off the throttle. I'm waiting for the funds to become available for a new 'steel' framed bike. I now know not to put a 2 stroke in an aluminum frame. Even with the new bike I don't think I'll spend much time over 30. I'll just have to see how stable that bike is when I get it.

Thanks for the sanity and good 'intel'. I'll look that up to see if there's anything there that I didn't see here.

Just realized, I may end up rebuilding the whole engine... all the gaskets have to be checked for proper seal when A: I thought they were all intact from the manufacture. B: I thought they we're just to keep debris away from moving parts.
Can you tell this is my first 2 stroke...? I'm learning fast though.

Thanks again. I'll do my best to keep you posted on my progress.

There are only 2 throttle positions on the Chinese 2-stroke: idle and wide open throttle.
So long as you have a good reliable idle and perfectly set max throttle which generally gives perfect transition, every other part of the throttle position has no relevance in operation, because you rarely go there.

From what is described above, the needle plays no effective part in the carburation on these engines, apart from idle, which is why you drop the needle as low as possible because you are jetting the engine as rich as you can; just touching the edge of 4-stroking, at sensible rpm.

I now know not to put a 2 stroke in an aluminum frame.

That assertion is complete rubbish. My (aluminium framed) bike (all of it except the rear wheel) has covered 60,000 kilometers (37,000 miles) and is still in good shape, granted that i am very careful with engine mount to frame fastening tension and i am very vigilant about frame inspection; for the first sign of a potential crack in the mounting point locations.

More than once i have seen people crush aluminium frames by excessive fastening tension.

The biggest advantage of a steel framed bike is that of vibration dampening, with a seconardy advantage being that of increased crush resistance to excessive engine mount clamping force.

A very tiny head gasket leak. Hit it with some gasket maker and my idle is down a little lower.

Quit messing around with a standard cylinder head. Go and get yourself a decent aftermarket billet cylinder head that has large cooling surface area.

In my case, i am using a CR Machine Manufacturing billet cylinder head, and that thing seals like a charm. Not one itty, bitty little leak (oil or gas) gets past that cylinder head, not to mention being massively superior to the standard cylinder head with respect to cooling surface area; doing the job it's supposed to do.

I'm waiting for the jet [kit...] When they come in I'll be able to determine whether my main jet is too small for the dual bottle kit I installed

Don't even waste you time trying to make jetting allowances for the boost bottle.
Throw the boost bottle in the bin and then jet the carburettor correctly, which will give you an engine that runs reliably on the carburation side of things.

fabian....shutup.

you drop the needle to LEAN the idle.

everything else...now youre just playing that pipe someone mentioned previously... put it away, be a good lil boy and go to bed :)

Can you tell this is my first 2 stroke...? I'm learning fast though.

Oh my gosh, you have no idea the pain and misery you have got yourself into.
Being a fast learner isn't good enough in this game, because you've got to be able to solve problems that are not listed in any repair book, and these engines keep throwing stuff at you that you've never see before.

The quote that has stuck in my head regarding this hobby/transport, and is applicable to this hobby/transport is that of Andre Agassi's coach back in the good'ol'days when he was up there at the top of his game and when he complained to his coach that he was giving it his "all".

The reply from his coach: "sometimes even your best isn't good enough"

That quote is the most fitting thing i have ever heard and it is most applicable to what is ahead of you.
Again i say "Oh my gosh, you have no idea the pain and misery you have got yourself into". I hope you take to heart the words of Andre Agassi's coach.

fabian....shutup.

you drop the needle to LEAN the idle.

Headsmess, i think you better look over what i have written and what i have written, because you've fallen face first into a poo-poo pile.
Please tell me how you have come to the conclusion that i meant the opposite of what you have stated in the quote?

the individual that wants to be the pie eyed piper.
Even if he called him self EMNEM I wouldn't follow without some sound reasoning.
He's been given too much time and attention, so that's the end of that from my end.

You are a f*#king psychic. That's word for word what my last girlfriend said about me.

I am sending her the web link right now :devilish:

Back