twin carbs

Fabian, SHUT UP!

And you didn't misread that. I did not say please.

Once again you speak with out answering the question asked and you volunteer my spending money to do things 'your way'.

Are you too poor to pay attention!? I'm working with what I have on the table and tackiling one problem at a time. I am not buying more hardware to try and figure out how you got it to work when you've shown currently that you will never give a straight answer.

Pretending to know anything proves you to ba a liar.

Thinking you're a help or that any one is listening to you in this forum proves you an idiot!

Stop fillibustering the forum and let people who are actually helping one another do just that...

In case you missed it the firts time fabian. SHUT UP!

Last edited:
Once again you speak with out answering the question asked and you volunteer my spending money to do things 'your way'.

I am not asking you to do things "my way". I am simply making mention that you do things the right way, which in this case involves throwing the boost bottle in the rubbish bin.

Thinking you're a help or that any one is listening to you in this forum proves you an idiot!

Oh my goodness, you are earning your keep on this forum. I haven't laughed so much in a long, long time, even if your words carry as much impact as a woodpecker with rubber lips.

Stop fillibustering the forum

I can't help that you lack basic comprehension skills, requiring me to repeat, rephrase and attempt to realign your faulty logic with respect to a boost bottle - call it filibustering if you will.

In case you missed it the firts time fabian. SHUT UP!

You shouldn't be too concerned about my voice as it's glaringly apparent that whatever i say to you goes in one ear and out the other, because nothing in the middle is blocking traffic.

Last edited:
you drop the needle as low as possible because you are jetting the engine as rich as you can

maybe i read it backwards or over analysed...

now i re-read it five or so times, maybe i did :)

meh. whatever. i couldnt live with myself if that was how i tuned a carb as it goes against every document ever published in regards to tuning. every bit of training i ever received. every experience ive ever had, and thats going back some 20 years+ now...

main jet first. then adjust needle to get a decent idle... seems to be the popular and sensible, in fact...the RIGHT way of doing things. profushenal too :wacko:

i love these threads :) thankyou "assemblethis" for reanimating a dead thread :)

i couldnt live with myself if that was how i tuned a carb as it goes against every document ever published in regards to tuning. every bit of training i ever received. every experience ive ever had, and thats going back some 20 years+ now...

I've been messing around with the NT for a long time. I know that carburettor and it's setup requirements backwards.
If not being able to live with yourself, using the "Fabian" method, you can always book a spot to attend "confessional" at your local Catholic Church.

I only give that advise for quick carburation setup, because the NT carburettor is a known quantity and with a great deal of consistency, the engine operates well (providing maximum torque) with jetting set as close as possible to 4-stroking, and consequently, the needle set as low as possible to maintain good off-idle transition when the throttle is snapped open.

Now, which turkey around here was standing on a soapbox; vociferously telling me me not to ventilate my vocal cords, despite my good advise being given; free of charge?

which one? this one?

e429.gif

this one?

turkey7.gif

or this one?

animated-turkey-walkink-strutting-his-stuff.gif

moderator! anton! whoever!

we need a turkey icon, and we need it NOW!!!!

like this!
turkey_wave-1998.gif

or this!
up_and_down_3_text.gif

i particularly like this one...

axe_3.gif

heh heh heh...

turkey-crazy-eyes.gif

and of course, as us skippies down here dont do thanksgiving and have a completely different breed of turkey...

brush_turkey_04123.jpg

thankyou for the thoughtful advice but no... ill do things the right way ;) matthew 6 forbids my presence at any religious gathering, unfortunately :innocent:

*waves his snood in the breeze*

HeadsMess

It wasn't just the jet in the carb.
New set of jets came in, after a few swaps and test rides I've figured out its the intake manifold too. The manifold that came with the boost bottles has thicker walled construction but still fits the NT carb. That equals the manifold it self is the choke point now.
I've gotten the idle down as low if not lower than before but I'm still fowling out at higher rpm. Myy choices now are to either drill out the new manifold to match the ID of the stock piece or drill and tap the stocker for the NPT fittings to connect the bottles.
I'm holding off on doing iether as I've ordered a Mongoose Dolomite: I want to see how the motor fits the new bike before doing any near irreversable work to parts on hand.
My first motor install was on a bike frame of similiar dimentions and the carb had to be tilted for clearance on the throttle cable. It was jammed against the top tube if carb was mounted perfect vertical.
I'm waiting for the Dolomite to come before I do any drilling...if the cable doesn't clear the top tube, I'm going to get an offset intake vs rotating the carb.

She's running with an .085 jet. Nice low and smooth idle without racing or stalling when I have to stop. But when I get to upper RPM she's lean. I sealed the head gasket leak I found, next I'm going to hit the intake gasket with some silicone to make sure that's not an issue either...

If returning the ID of the manifold to stock doesn't resolve this (hopefully final issue with fuel mixture/curve) then I'll try retruning the C clip on the needle to the stock position.

Just wanted to let you know that despite the nay sayers, I've improved my performance another step...

I'll keep you posted...

Out of all of my engines, the biggest jet i have had to use was a No 86 (using 98 octane, Australian lower south eastern states, non ethanol fuel), but one of my engines ran optimally using a No 70 main jet.

The average seems to be a No 76.
My current engine uses a No 77.

Last edited:
iunno what all these "No 76 and 77" things are... but if 85 is related then its freaking huge! i just use microdrills and seem to get the best results with 0.55 and 0.6mm... i can tell 0.6 is too rich on cold night rides :) and 0.55 may be bordering on too lean on stinking hot 44` summer days...

Back