UPGRADE Piston Wrist Pin Clips

Wrench

Local time
7:02 AM
I've heard many horror stories of piston wrist pin clips popping off or the little tab breaks off ruining the piston and cyl.
I've never been the unlucky one to have this happen to him. BTW, I have a 138cc 4 stroke Whizzer M/B
I finally decided to upgrade the clips and got 14mm Snap Rings from ACE Hardware. (y) bag of 6 for $1.50 They fit perfect

Here's some pics

DSCF3664.JPG
DSCF3665.JPG
DSCF3667.JPG
DSCF3668.JPG

Test fit on an old piston, Fits perfect

Last edited:
Special pliers for snap rings. I have had these Craftsman pliers for a long time now.
Their duel purpose for inside and outside snap rings.
DSCF3677.JPG
DSCF3675.JPGDSCF3678.JPGDSCF3679.JPGDSCF3680.JPGDSCF3682.JPG

Last edited:
Even if you don't replace them you can make your stock clips have less chance of failure, by placing the opening of the clip aiming at the crankshaft like Wrench has his in his Wizzer's old piston.

I hear it's the wrist pin that cuts into the little clip tabs causing them to break off
I make sure the wrist pin don't have any sharp edges. File it smooth if necessary
I'm gonna upgrade the clips anyways.

The stock clips are weak, they can be removed with just your fingers, Best thing to do with stock clips is to cut the little tabs off
When the little tabs are cut off, the bevel on the wrist pin end actually pushes on the clip spreading it and makes it tighter
Now the clip is harder to take out though. Putting a little slit in the piston skirt clip groove will help so ya can stick a pick in to remove the clip

Last edited:
Wrist pins are really hard material and would dull any file, best to use a fine grade carburundum stone on a bench grinder.

Back