Upgraded Disc Brake Question

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
10:30 PM
IMG_0938.jpg
As always I need some advice. I purchased a Mongoose Mountain Bike & I need to upgrade the disc brakes. Problem is (as most forum members know) I know very little about these types of things (and many others) so I need some advice please. I simply want better braking. I have disc brakes on the front and caliper brakes on the back but I may reinstall the disc brakes on the back also. So I know Mongoose doesn't offer the best disc brakes so can anyone please suggest parts I could buy to improve my braking?? Links would be great. Here's a couple stock photos of what's on the bike now but I'm not sure if that will help.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 107
IMO if you want to join both brakes to one right side lever (Yuck! Noo! Argh!) the you probably want Avid BB7 as these have both pads active.
Edit: I was corrected later in the thread. I misunderstood how the BB7's work. They are different from other cable disc brakes in that the starting position of both pads can be set by a dial, they are not both active. The BB5 has a dial to adjust the inner pad. Other cable disc brakes use an Allen key to adjust the inner pad.

If you want to keep the brakes separate, independent (Yay! Whoooo!) then you can check what's available on the auction site and get some hydraulic brakes.
There's far too many choices for anyone to have tried them all, so just see what's available to you and Goggle for reviews. :)

As for disc front and rim rear: I went with Shimano Deore front and Magura HS33 rear (the bike is for paved road use). Magura hydraulics are a bit more fiddly to set up but who cares, you're only doing it once.

Any brake needs to be set up carefully to get the best out of it, needs checking before you go riding, and the braking power is always limited by the traction of the tyre on the ground.

Last edited:
Hydraulic is the way to go https://motoredbikes.com/threads/sbp-expansion-chamber.50356/
I had mechanical disc brakes for a while then upgraded.
Going to put hydraulics on the Columbia Klunker to.
Listen, you just want to ride and this hobby allows that, so why not spend a little extra for reliability and safety?
Always check everything before each ride, it only takes a couple minutes and you'll know you're good to go.
If it's not one thing it's another with these bikes lol my 29'er has a #64 Jet and the 26'er won't run with that, ran with the 70 jet though but not well so i guess i'll have to rejet tomorrow to a #73 jet and see what happens.

Look for the Pre Filled hydraulic brakes, 160mm and they will do you good. Just have to decide, like FOTI said, if you want both plungers to work or just one. Either or, they both work good ;)

Glad you're alright though man :eek:

I was using a dual lever for both the front disc brake and rear caliper brake, not a good idea huh? I wondered that myself cause I figured that the different braking system would need different tension and applying the same amount at the same time may not be wise, is that why your like yuck to the dual lever? Like I said I have no experience with this stuff & I'd much rather use what worked for others instead of experimenting.

dual lever brakes have to be adjusted for each brake system. like if you want the front brake to come on first then the back brake to lighten the braking load then yeah. IMO, don't need all of that if you're not racing these things.
Get a good Hydraulic system and keep the rear clincher and you'll be good to go.

That's what I'm talking about guys. The links & the names of the brakes help out a bunch. It'll give me an idea of what to buy. I don't mind doing the research and looking at reviews, it's all I do really, but being a person who just entered the hobby it sucks not knowing if a $40 set of brakes will do the same as a $80-100. set., especially when both have good reviews. I appreciate the help though, I really do.

I ride 30 miles one way to work Carl. With Front Hydraulics and a rear clincher, seems to be just fine at 45+ MPH

about $50 or $60 for a front hydraulic brake system will do you well.

Back