upgraded exhausts that are not too loud and gain more power?

I measure as an audio engineer does, not as a race track does. that's one meter from the source at 45 degrees. 20 inches or 1 meter is close enough to give similar results with maybe a 1 decibel difference.

the overwhelming majority of the noise my bike makes is in those straight cut gears and I haven't found a good way to drop that noise by any considerable margin without adding bulk. thick grease helps, but not enough. if someone would make a set of helical gears for a china girl I'd be their first customer.

come to think of it, I haven't measured since I built that chamber, and I've added silicone dampers between the fins and quieted down the intake quite a bit since then.

Last edited:
If yours is 96db at 44" (1 meter) distance then how much higher would it be at 20"?

you're just proving my point.

Did you try my fix for the gear noise?

you mean using valve grinding compound on them? I haven't tried it, but I suppose the logic is sound. still it weirds me out to put abrasive material in gears on purpose.

doesn't help that I have a bent crank from the time my bike ate my pants either. doesn't make too much extra noise under load, but it's not easy to measure sound pressure under load

You would be modifying the design of the gears, no different than modifying the engine.

Its called back lash when the gears are to close together not enough room for untrue spin you can have a big gap between the gears if it doesn't slip or maybe the gears are over sized ...but apart from taking them off and grinding each tooth one by one and probably unevenly. the compound is the best option and should get an evon finish .or keep riding and Ware it in .

Jaguar, I am new to this...firstly your site is awesome. As I dont have the facilitiy to fabricate a pipe do you sell them ready to bolt on or can you reccomend someone who can manufacture me one to your design? Im in the UK though :-(

sorry but I have to call "bulls**t" on that.
I don't have any "facilities" either. I have pliers and tin snips.
Just buy the sheet metal. Make the patterns on poster board and then trace them onto the sheet metal and then cut them out.
Roll them by hand (and pliers) and then take them to a welder to weld together.
It's a lot of work but the final product is awesome.
Don't pay someone else $500 to make one, pay yourself by making it yourself.
The pipes that others have made and have their pictures on my site were all built by first-timers, not professionals.

ps- I don't make and sell them

Bulls**t......why? Im not a skilled metalworker or fabricator......itll end up looking like a sack of s**t......which is why I wont try in the first place. I can machine parts but I dont do sheet metal work......

neither my self or any of the other people who have made my torque pipe were skilled metalworkers.
Stop making excuses.
The little irregularities that result from a beginner making a pipe do not affect it's performance. And black spray paint hides a lot of imperfections.

The Age of Superficiality - only thing important is how it looks

Imagine a dirty modified bike going uphill passing a pretty bike. To me the powerful bike looks the best, because I look for performance.

Nowt like straight talking son. I feel "Served"....lol. ok....ill give it a go.....ill try to make one of your torque pipes

Back