Vegetable oil

what you want is about a hundred of these...
growing-castor-beans_mini.jpg

rip off all the seed pods when ripe and starting to split...

buy-castor-oil-plant-seeds-rarexoticseeds-castor-plant.jpg

crush seeds, boil in water for a day or two....

finally, scoop out the resultant oil...

maxresdefault.jpg

theres a bit of stuffing around with more water and stuff to "degum" the oil, but the end result is...

100% eco friendly home made castor oil.

all you have to do is start making your own methanol and the twostroke can finally be called green and eco friendly :) (or just go buy it in bulk at about $1-$2 a litre from the racetrack...)

yep, castor beans are all starting to split open around here...time to give myself the squirts this weekend... (did anyone mention that castor oil is a laxative?) seems cheaper than forking out $30-$50 on a 1L bottle of castor....

vege oil? if it hasnt got the same hi-temp properties as castor oil, its just going to make a mess of everything.... can you spell SEIZE? (spellchecker says i cannot!)

If you make your own castor oil be careful handling the seeds after the shells are cracked open. The beans contain ricin, one of the deadliest toxins known. The ricin is destroyed with heat so it won't be found in the oil. Just don't pick your nose, remove that bothersome chunk of meat that's been stuck in your teeth or rub your eyes after handling raw opened seeds till you've washed your hands.

If you make your own castor oil be careful handling the seeds after the shells are cracked open. The beans contain ricin, one of the deadliest toxins known. The ricin is destroyed with heat so it won't be found in the oil. Just don't pick your nose, remove that bothersome chunk of meat that's been stuck in your teeth or rub your eyes after handling raw opened seeds till you've washed your hands.
I think the key is to eat only a small portion of the deadly beans, almost like eating the puffer fish meat, or wasabi, not too much and not too little.

I usually just cut my caster beans 50/50 with ground leprechaun hooves and snort that with a side of Cajun rum. The ginger really compliments the hoof fungus.

ideally you chuck them in the oven first, roast them... makes them easier to grind once theyre as dry as they can get. destroys the ricin.

looking at getting a soxhlet extractor so i can do some small batches of ultra pure stuff...

years ago, i bought a bunch of test tubes...the guy showed me a large, broken extractor...

"how much?"

5 grand...broken. 15...new.

i put it back down carefully.

but small ones are on ebay for about $40... 500mL or so. not sure if the extra hassle will actually make up for the few extra steps of refining oil the old school, solvent free way in bulk though.

just wack in some methanol(or cyclohexane? i got a bottle of that), let it do its reflux for an hour or so, replace spent beans, repeat, finally distilling off the methanol and reusing it for the next batch.

heh heh heh. the advantage of living in a semi tropical climate. free castor oil.

I think the key is to eat only a small portion of the deadly beans, almost like eating the puffer fish meat, or wasabi, not too much and not too little.

I usually just cut my caster beans 50/50 with ground leprechaun hooves and snort that with a side of Cajun rum. The ginger really compliments the hoof fungus.
no no no!

the avenging angel and death cap have a slightly peppery taste... fly agaric is revolting.

mmmm, athletes mouth. tis what you get for drinking wine from ladies slippers...

Hmm veggie oil, sounds like a job for Project Farm he just got one of the 2 stroke kits, Although I wish that all diesels ran on veggie oil atleast the exhaust would smell good unlike the dually I was behind coming home!

Back