Veteran M/B'r has wreck...

U

uncle_punk13

Even those of us who have been doing these contraptions for over a decade, and have logged in tens of thousands of miles, can have a momentary lapse in judgment. Complacency will hurt you.
I pulled out my 2004 Grubee "80", mounted on a 1963 Schwinn Speedster camelback, to fire it up and run about a bit. I had accidently left the petcock on after doing some adjustments 3 weeks ago, so the crankcase and carb. were flooded and there was a nice pool of fuel mix on the floor. I pulled it out, and jumped aboard- No helmet, no jacket, no gloves. I was just going to the end of the row of shops and back, no biggie right?
uh, yeah, riiiiiight...
So I'm peddalin' like a maniac to clear the engine, and the engine begins trying to start popping a bit, so as I'm reaching down to make sure the choke is fully open the s.o.b. roars to life, jumps forward, and as I'm off balance anyway, the bike and I begin careening wildly out of control. I scraped along the garage door on one of the shops until I hit the door frame, and the bike then goes down and sideways! I scraped along the ground a couple of feet, and come to a rest with my arms and legs tangled in the bike so I have to literally twist and contort to unwrap myself from the bike. My shoulder is severely bruised, and with nice raspberry rashes at the socket, and across my chest. I dislocated a rib and pulled some of those muscles in my chest/rib/back/neck. Nice raspberries on my knees and ankle. Nothing broken, just very bruised and sore the past two days- I still can't take a full breath from the muscle/rib thing. I'll be fine.
I am not whining for sympathy here, but rather I just wanted to reiterate my older postings about all the gear all the time, and that complacency and a false sense of security in these vehicles can have somewhat severe consequences.
On a humorous note, My fiance's son just had to ask me:
"Is THIS what happens when you turn 40?!? You start falling of your bike?!?" LOL !!! Smart Aleck teenagers Right?!? LOL!!!

Be safe and smart out there fellas!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
wreck

Yeah i can relate In may of this year i was crossing railroad tracks at a angleand my left grip came off so when the front wheel hit the other track went sideways and i went over cracked rib and knee and elbow and hand scraped so i bought a good helment and pads to wear. :whistle:
I teach at a vo tech last year had my students build a motorized bike am and pm classes with a competion at the end of year . had them sign waivers and wear helmet. So i didnt do as i said them to do , but i do now and if it means anything i recommend it highly that everybody wear their safety gear .:helmet:

Hi rif
I'm glad your going to be ok. That sounds like one of those freak things that just happen without warning. A valuable lesson for all is to be learned here. Like you said "I just wanted to reiterate my older postings about all the gear all the time"
Get well soon.

Jim

Rif its going to take a lot longer to heal at your age.:whistle: Glad to hear your not "hospital" hurt. I know its going to drive ya crazy, but your going to have to slow it down for a few days. Take care.

oh, geez, bro'...'cruzin came by last nite and said "well, i just found out how far i can take these tires" and the rest of his story is like yours, except he was suited up and is fine. something in the air maybe?

as a rider who's made a real clown of himself because of complacency, all i can say is...

i feel your pain, & i'm glad you're ok :cool:

(trust me..."i meant to do that" doesn't work)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, but I'm glad you'll be allright.

Your warning can be widened in scope; gasoline is wonderful stuff in many ways but it can clobber you if you don't watch out. This applies to motor assisted bicycles and cars. It also applies to that gas can you are carrying when you go to the station to get some fuel.

Be careful!!!!!!

All the safety gear all the time gets a bit tiresome. Maybe I'll try to improve about that, though.

OH MAN, THAT SUCKS. very glad you missed the door frame with your head !!

i was unhooking a trailer full of coal once by standing on the tongue and bouncing while yanking on the ball latch. got thrown about 4 ft. in the air and came down on my side across the tongue just behind the jack.

knocked 4 rib heads off the vertibra, didn't know it then, figured it'd be OK. 3 days later i could hardly breath, couldn't get out of bed, thought i was having a constant heart attack.

it was much worse having them put back on that's for sure.

give it plenty of time to heal up,
steve

Glad it's mostly ego bruises, (but that rib thing must hurt!). I hate to say it - but it's always when you aren't thinking about it. (duh) My bike got away from me once....I just stood there with a virtual load in my pants as the bike ran (wheelied) into the garage and up a pile of sporting equipment onto the wall and fell sideways...still running. Idiot owner ran over and hit the kill switch. Maybe I need a dead man cord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude Thats a bummer !!

Glad your not in worse shape ...
Get well soon ...

Back