Well I Did it now !!!

Thanks for the info Ross !!!!
I just checked UPS and my kit will be here Monday.
You said You just relaced the schwinn wheel with 12G spokes, Is the rest of the wheel strong enough??
guess so.... I should have ordered a wheel from gebe but funds are kinda tite right now .
I saw the tubes at walmart with the slime in them.
did your new kickstand just bolt on ?? is it like a centerstand ?
Thanks for all the info !!!

Great to hear about your kit comming in. I remember how it felt.:D

The wheel is strong enough for the spokes. It's not as strong as some wheels you can buy but it's descent. And the 12 gage spokes aren't really tightened any tighter than the original spokes. They're just stronger.

I did use wire ties on the spokes as others have suggested but I don't remember when I put them on and it may have already been a bit too late. As others have said, Chineese spokes are poorly made and or made of poor quality steel. Some have gone to better quality 14 gage spokes. I know GEBE sells some wheels with 14 gage stainless. They must be stronger.

Still... knowing what I know now... I'd definitely go with 12gage spokes if I had the choice to do it over again. The pulley really snaps on tight and doesn't move as some have had problems with. And these things are really robust. I just can't see hurting these things. I'll probably dammage the wheel before I hurt the spokes.

If you do re-lace the wheel with different spokes... take the time to inspect all surfaces of the wheel that come into contact with the tubes. No sharp or rough spots. Check around the valve hole. And wrap several layers of electrical tape around the wheel to protect the tube from the spoke nipples. This is time well spent. Others here tell of how their tubes were abraded over time and caused a leak or blowout.

And at some point in the future, after riding a while, if you have the need to take your wheel apart, inspect the tube for abrasions then as well. Just stuff I've learned here on the forum.

I'm still running the same tubes that came with the Schwinn. I bought a bottle of slime and put that in... front and back. Then I pumped the tires up to about 55psi. I made sure the valve was straight after I pumped them up good. If it wasn't, I let the air out and bumped the tire to shift the tube and pumped it up again. Once I was satisfied that the valves were straight I was all set.

Am I overdoing this stuff? :D

What do I know... I'm just an overweight fool riding a weedwacker at 5am in the morning (five points for taking out joggers with no reflectors on!).

Speaking of...

I've had a couple of close calls with joggers early in the morning. I get to work at 5:30 every day and it's dark on them thar roads that early in Suthinn New Hampshaa. Streetlights are few and far between and I'm running with just a dinky LED bike light. It's cold, no face shield, my eyes are tearing from the wind in my face, there's snot oozin'... well, we won't go there...

...I'll be headed down a hill, doin' bout 35, pickin up speed, and from out of knowhere a jogger, wearing a jacket the blairing color of asphalt (a little sarcasm there) will just appear, from out of the dark, right in front of me. :eek::eek::eek:CRIPES!!! It's enough to scare the "jelly beans" out of me!!!

It won't be a car that takes me out... it will be the act of missing a jogger and wrapping myself around a tree that will do me in... I just know it for sure!

...but I digress.

I got the kickstand from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Alloy-Double-Bicycle-Kickstand/dp/B000AO9Z7K/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1222388146&sr=8-21

It replaces your kickstand... bolts right on and holds the bike up straight... not leaning this way or that. I like it a lot. I did notice that the bike was leaning a bit today and looking at the kickstand I noticed I had bent one of the legs a bit... I just bent it back and it's good as new. Also it has rubber feet and one kept trying to come off so I glued both of them on. Ahh the little things we must do... but still I'm very satisfied with it as others on Amazon will atest.

I did forget to mention... you will want a bike mirror if you ride in traffic at all. It is really creapy riding down the road at 30mph knowing there is a car following you and not knowing what they are doing. Are they passing, turning, going around, comming straight at you, talking on their cell, weaving like a drunk??? You just can't assume they see you so you want to be sure you see them. And at 30mph, you don't want to turn your head all the way around to look... not on a bike. Nope nope nope.

I think everyone on this forum will tell you... be safe, have fun... save on gas... and drive defensively!

Ok...

Tell us about yourself. How old are you? How do you plan to use your bike... pleasure, commuting? Curious minds want to know.:)

Happy riding!

Ross

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Get good tires and tubes. I like Serfas Drifter tires and thorn proof tubes with slime. Also if you get the GEBE wheel they will put the ring on it for you and avoid a lot of trouble.

slime is good, as well as tire liners, (run around $8 for both wheels)they will help you bombproof the cheap tires that come with the bike until you have the dosh to by some upgraded ones.

rear wheel strenth

Seanhan, I have a schwinn cimaron ($199.00) and a GEBE R/S 35.My rear wheel lasted about 500 miles I guess.I wouldn't be suprised if they used the same wheel,has alittle sticker on it saying XRIMS. I replaced it with the gebe 105g,its a solid piece,huge spokes,can't imagine having any trouble with it.Good luck with the install,make sure to get the belt tracking on center of drive gear if you can........Bill

The Eagle has Landed !!!
Just got my GEBE today install took about 1 hour and I have been blasting around the hood for the last 2 hours. This was my first MB ride.
What a rush !!!
Iam glad I got the Tanaka 32cc and not the fourty I wanted, don't need to go any faster than I can go now. Dont even know how fast ?? speedo did not work and I did not want to stop riding to fix it !!!! maybe tomorrow...
The dredded drive ring was easy to install !!!! 5 min. job, the only problems i had was the back fender, had to 86 it... belt rubbed it bad. my tires are 2.125 and they just barely clear.
now I see why you all are into this mb thing !! what a blast.. The Tanaka starts first pull!!
Thanks to all the folks on this site that helped answer stupid newbe questions .I have learned a lot here !! and that's what it's all about...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I look forward to my ride to work and home. Even after riding for about 800 miles it is still fun as heck!

These things are a blast to ride,everytime I go out I get transformed.

Remember to keep your head on a swivel,it can get hairy out there,safety first!

Tanaka 32

Yep, Tanaka 32 is a really good choice. Ya save a couple of pounds and have plenty of power I'm sure. Wait till that thing gets broken in. I have Robin 35 AND a Tanaka 40. The 40 is almost too much. I really have to watch it.
That stock wheel will last longer if you 1) Never use your engine from a dead stop. 2) Don't gun your engine from idle to wide open real fast.. Ease it in.
3) Make sure that swing arm is loose like it came from the factory. I tightened mine down to stop the slipping.. It stopped slipping for awhile but I over flexed the wheel and it bent like a pretzel.

I went ahead and bought a GEBE built wheel and wow what a difference. Save your pennies.. It's worth it.

Have a blast. Wear a helmet. Be safe.. And what that guy said about a good mirror.. Makes a HUGE difference. I use a Myrrcle mirror which was designed for mountain bikes.

Just got back from riding .. I need a mirror !!!
Got the spedoo to work today, Max speed was 32mph, nice low rpm cruise 20-22 mph
looks like everything is holding up ok. The engine sure does start up good.
The stock Schwinn wheels and tires are the pits , front wheel was out of round right out of the box. wheels and real tires next. The schwinn frame is nice.
well got to go ....pics as soon as i can ...

Back