Wheel Nightmare - Grubee HD Hub - Any Help?

we may have thought hubs were ((( super tight )))

http://www.lassard.com/hub/
If this doesn't explain what I am talking about, nothing will .

that explains it in picture form -- perfectly

I had mentioned our bicycle shop from way back in the 70s
and not having seen this problem
this thread has sparked my memory
maybe there were a few times we forced on a hub or two
not knowing what was really going on
I kind of do remember one or two or a slight few being super tight

may be that we thought they were (((((((( super tight ))))))))
could have been not --------------(((((((( very right ))))))))))

ride that THING

Ok here's the deal since its been drilled and laced already it would be terrible to undo all the masters hard work! I will just refund your money, Submit the problem to Don, and look into the scooter freewheels maybe and just carry them or include them in the kit to eliminate the whole problem from ever arising again. Let me know what you think and we will go from there.

P.S. the boss man says "does he want a job? " he was quite impressed with your little presentation, maybe you would like to make a manual in English we would be willing to work something out if your willing! the whole BE world needs one that is yet to be perfected we have a nice one but one like that would be amazing!!!!! PM ME and we will talk shop if your game.

Last edited:
The nightmare has officially ended!

I really appreciate your flexibility on this one, biketec :) I'm sorry I wasn't able to articulate the problem more clearly before I had a chance to throw that presentation together.

If you have a hub that fits standard freewheels on hand, I'd really rather have one of those than a refund. I'd gladly pay shipping for the replacement. The wheel I received from Wheelmaster got bent in shipping (no fault of the Master's - his work is awesome). In preparation for St. Patrick's Day, I think the folks at UPS did an Irish jig on the wheel before delivering it. Anyway, I was going to have to get a re-lace job anyway.

The main reason I'm so obsessed about getting the right sized threads is that I purchased a thread-on disk brake adapter that uses ISO threads and I really want to make that work with this hub. I'll drop Wheelmaster a line and see what he would charge for a re-drill job to go with the re-lace, if you have a hub available that fits standard threads.

I'll also send the hub I have back along with the Chinese freewheel that I was able to find that fits it. If you have one that fits ISO, I won't need it. That way, you'll have something to experiment with.

Thanks again for helping me find a resolution to this issue!

Now, this thread is exactly why this forum is so valuable.

Problem encountered by end-user, sellers rep willing to listen and entertain the idea of error. That in and of itself is really rare nowadays, but for the seller to then solicit further input from the original complainant and offer a venue for that knowledgeable customer to provide a valuable resource for the community at large at the retailers expense is precedent setting.

Kudos to all involved - this is how to responsibly raise a complaint, and even better it is how to responsibly handle that complaint as a customer service issue.

Well done, gentlemen, well done.

maybe heating up the sprocket and cooling the hub would help matters if it was you had to force the freewheel on.

BSA

HD Hub Nightmare continued....

I asked bicycle-engines.com for a installation diagram and they sent me back a one liner - go to grubee.com. A bit vague.... So I found a very small diagram on Grubee's web site - looks easy to put together. One thing I thought was odd though was that the threaded sprocket flange (motor side) would only spin on a few threads. I figured once I got it laced into the wheel it would spin on with a little more pressure. I took the hub to my local bike shop and had them lace the wheel together ($70). I got home to put it together and the threading was obviously defective. I was able to get it to tighten maybe one more thread but it will strip it if I go on any further. I have spent $70 to have my bike shop build this wheel and now I have a useless wheel and hub. I asked them to please at least send me another kit - this is ridiculous. POOR craftsmanship!

I see others are having issues with finding a sprocket (crank side) to fit - I didn't even get that far. ughhhhh!!!!

I don't really see how one can recoup additional costs around bilding a wheel. It $ucks. I haven't had any trouble myself, but I can understand your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dom't really see how one can recoup additional costs around bilding a wheel. It $ucks. I haven't had any trouble myself, but I can understand your problem.

This is true and I am willing to spend another $50-$70 at my local bike shop to get ANOTHER HD Hub laced into a wheel. I just hope bicycle-engines.com responds to my request to replace the defective one that I have laced up now.

I took a closer look at it today and maybe it is the amount of chrome that is on top of the threads? Maybe? I don't know. I know everyone else was having problems with the crank sprocket side, but this is on the motored sprocket side that I am having issues. The threaded flange hub that BE.com sent me only spun on a couple of threads and the more I tried the more stripped it got. We will see how they respond. I saw a promising post earlier where they did choose to refund another customer. I am not looking for a refund, but a replacement. We will see.

Back