Wheels - Nothing but headaches

You are stressing needlessly, as others are telling you. The front fork spacing will likely be 100mm - just about any bicycle wheel will fit. And the front end is the easy part. Unless you intend to cruise 35+mph for hours, just about any wheel with 36 spokes laced 3 cross will do just fine. If it is a 26" mountain bike wheel, just about any reasonable sized clincher tire will work from, say, 1.5" to 2.25".

The rear wheel is where you will find problems but not due to spacing. Generic 26" mountain bike sized rims cannot handle the forces over the long term.

I don't think I will be cruising 35+ mph for hours. I really don't plan on going much over 25 - 30 mph in the beginning. My main concern is here in Houston, the roads are all horrible and I want something over kill that wont deform if I hit a bump in the road moving along at 25 - 30 mph.

Aside from that the rear is where I am really having some problem with. I think instead of doing a multi speed build I will just go a single speed build with a single 44T cog for the drive and be done. I can buy a HD hub that has threaded adapters for the disc brake and for the drive cog mount so its not mounted to the spokes themselves. Not too expensive either. Just need to hit up the internet and do some reading on if there is any special matching you have to do between rim and hub.

This is the bike shop down the street from me that I would take my hub to and have assemble the wheel going to do some reading on them seems like they are good but some what pricy.

http://icycle-texas.shoplightspeed.com/

Last edited:
Ouch, that's another thing for me. If I do buy this Grubee 61mm hub for a single speed build for a 150mm frame I don't even know where I could take it to have the wheel built where I wont have to worry about killing myself when I drive the bike for the first time.

Then theres the whole rim selection, not sure if bicycle rims are like cars and you have to go with the same width rim as width of tire you are going to run. Then I also don't want the new age style setup I want the old inner tube style with conventional valve stems. I'm not at the point of buying wheels yet. I haven't even gotten my front forks in yet so I haven't even painted my parts just yet. But I do want to get the wheels fairly soon so I can sit the bike on its wheels and not on painted metal.
I put suspension forks on my old Schwine phantom chopper it raised my bike 7 inches second dynamic I can't find a kickstand for it. Third its like being a little kid again trying to mount a big horse.

Is what you could do is call up bicycle shop mechanics go to 3 incase 1 is blowing bull ask them about rim selection. Those guys half to smarter than auto mechanics large volume books and stuff.

The 180mm is the length of the steerer tube. Kinda confused about the ad, title says its threadless, but description says threaded. The 25.4mm is the steerer tube od, 1".

The 180mm is the length of the steerer tube. Kinda confused about the ad, title says its threadless, but description says threaded. The 25.4mm is the steerer tube od, 1".

It is, that's why I bought that one because I want threaded since I am going for a vintage look build and all the threadless head sets I found just looked way too modern.

I put suspension forks on my old Schwine phantom chopper it raised my bike 7 inches second dynamic I can't find a kickstand for it. Third its like being a little kid again trying to mount a big horse.

Is what you could do is call up bicycle shop mechanics go to 3 incase 1 is blowing bull ask them about rim selection. Those guys half to smarter than auto mechanics large volume books and stuff.

I emailed the local bicycle shop to ask them how much would they charge if I bring in my own wheel pieces to be assembled. Honestly I was thinking of buying a proper wheel set front and rear and then buy the hub and just have the shop swap the hubs out for me and be done.

Well I think I found something that will work.

https://mbrebel.com/product/front-d...ome-rim-38mm-wide-kt-coaster-brake-wheel-set/

This is a chrome rim set, I know I could get aluminum but I think chrome would have that more vintage look for this. The rear wheel I think what I will do is have a bicycle shop swap the HD Grubee 61mm hub onto that wheel and I should be set. I just have to wait till Grubee gets back with me on what gauge spokes their hubs. Based off the photo over on Bicycle-Engine they are 36 spoke hubs and the wheel set above is 36 spoke as well. I think this would be the cheapest option for me as I can buy the wheel set above for $116, then buy the HD 61mm hub and HD 44T sprocket for $55. Ill have $171 in the whole wheel set front and rear minus the cost of the local shop to do the work of swapping the hub. That is still cheaper than buying the HD wheel from Bicycle Engines as each wheel is $130 a piece so if I bought two that would be $260 before I buy a 100mm disc hub for the front.

Back