Would you use a tire after a 3 inch deck screw punctured it

digital_life

Local time
5:19 AM
Yesterday when I was riding I got a puncture in my back tire, I was thinking I could still use it for the front what do you guy's think.

It in went the bottom of the tire and came out the side

tire sim.png

Here is the inside of the tire

holes.jpg

Here is the deck screw, Might as well keep it it cost me a lot of money

20210522_130408.jpg

Attachments

• tire sim.png
    tire sim.png
    437.2 KB · Views: 115
  • holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 103
id personally replace it since it got into the sidewall, but if your gonna keep it, install it in the back as you'd be a lot safer if it failed in the rear vs the front (since you'd lose all steering control in the front vs just having a controllable (albeit wobbly) rear end)

use a good patch as well, like a park tool TB-2

It in went the bottom of the tire and came out the side
Through the tread, punctures depending on size of hole can usually be patched safely...Any sidewall punctures are usually considered unrepairable due to sidewall flexing which will nullify any repair to it...Especially being that close to the tire bead...It is unsafe to repair sidewalls for this reason, irregardless of the fact your using an innertube...DAMIEN

Ok thanks guy's, I might look into that tire repair stuff but for now I will just replace the back tire with a new one.

Are you running tubeless? If not, I’d patch it from the inside and use it. Especially as a rear wheel.

It could, but with the hole right next to the bead I think it would be fine. If it starts to open up then replace it.

Living in the mountains I can't risk a tire failure. Me personally, due to where I live it'd be remove the screw. Use the spare tube; get to the house. Once home replace the tire.

Back