XR-75/Staton NuVinci Build

Okay, This project isn't near finished yet but I have been taking pictures at just about every step of the way. Heres a list of features that are going to be included on this build:
-Mongoose XR-75 dual suspension MTB, aluminum frame, steel rear triangle.
-Staton NuVinci drive with Mitsubishi TLE43 engine, half-lever left hand throttle/killswitch , right side NVshifter. Torsion bars.
-center handlebar mounted digital speedo.
-left handle bar end nashbar convex mirror.
-New aluminum nashbar Jaws pedals.
-double thick and slimed Bell innertubes
-Bell kevlar lined 26x1.75 road tires (thin but should allow this thing to be pedaled if need be.)
-Bottle and cage for extra fuel
-Bell comfort Gel seat (black)
-Finished and painted Staton hardware (gloss black to match rear triangle of bike.)
-Emaxi break levers with internal switches for brake light activation.
-Full lighting to New Hampshire moped standards. Enclosed in a soft (hard lined) black/silver lunchbox to be mounted to the left hand side of the Staton rack opposite the engine.
--55w Halogen headlamp w/ small rectangular enclosure and mounting hardware wired through a very efficient 12v turn dial dimmer switch to adjust brightness.
--A 7 LED taillamp that doubles as a brake light when wired with the Emaxi levers.
--Electrical master on/off switch and 12v battery gauge.
--5ah SLA battery.
--Charger port.
--Possibly an on the move charging system as well as I have a 1200mAh 12v power rectifier that I may be able to hook into a dynamo or DC brushed motor.
-All wires/cables to the staton rack are going to be run down (and through) the center of the frame and will be wrapped in spiral casing and zip tied clean and secure.

I would have this beast finished but I'm still waiting for the weather to get nice (clear and over 50F) so I can prime and paint the staton rack to match the bike. I've already done a lot of grinding and rounding to make the staton kit not appear as chunky. I have to say though this thing is rock solid. I've already mocked everything up and it should all fit together nicely. So here are the pictures. I have tons more but I've had to do the steps all out of order as I got the chance to do them so it would be more confusing to you folks than its worth.

Pic1: The mongoose last summer after a muddy thrillride down a trail near my house.
Pic2: Mongoose with NuVinci installed and cables run, torsion straps are backwards (was just measuring at the time) and heavy duty pedal chain.
Pic3: NuVinci out of the box.
Pic4: Mocked up rack to make sure everything would fit and work well.
Pic5: Cooler electrical box. Front pocket (with penguin) has the dimmer, switch and battery gauge mounted into plastic underneath. Unfinished.

Attachments

• P5230125.jpg
    P5230125.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 3,299
  • P2110074.jpg
    P2110074.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 4,635
  • P1280021.jpg
    P1280021.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,799
  • P204005g9.jpg
    P204005g9.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4,773
  • P2090065.jpg
    P2090065.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,603
Last edited by a moderator:
The gearbox has a freewheel on it. You can get the cadence to match that of the motor by choosing the correct front chainring/rear freewheel combo. It'll take some experimentation but the fact that you're doing off roading you'll probably want to use a fairly small cog up front. With this system you can pedal as much or as little as you'd like with no drag either way. You probably wont want to pedal a beast like this very far unless you have no choice. The weight makes it awkward and difficult in general, especially on hills.

Can't thank you enough for the help Jake...When you say the weight makes it awkward I assume you mean the weight on the rack mount being in the rear & high ??

nuvinci

Hi, How many miles do you have on you nu vinci now. I have staton with a tanaka 40, just checking the dependability of a Nuvinci.Im so hooked with motor biking so i wanted to buy a motorcycle. Funny that I'm looking at a sv 650 even before I read your thread. But you said motorbiking is more fun than your sv 650. Did I understood you right? If thats the case i just want to add a nuvnci to my build. Are you still happy with you nuvinci?Thanks.

The MB and the SV650 are two totally different beasts. I ride the MB's when I want to relax and enjoy a summer day without spending much money.
The SV is better for longer trips obviously even though it's not the most comfortable motorcycle in the world. It's just not as fun to ride a motorcycle in some ways since you always have to keep up with traffic and you don't have time to take in the scenery or stop wherever you wish. They're two machines with completely different purposes. If you already have an MB or two I would totally get a motorcycle if I were you. They're perfect for medium distance transportation when gas prices get high or when you just want to take off somewhere and travel light. It takes far too long to get somewhere quick on an MB, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to take my motored bike on a long arse trip from southern NH to the white mountains someday.

Back