does the robin subaru 35cc come w/ oil in it

haven't seen ??????????????
any truly large -- small engine repair shops using syntitetic oils
talking very large shops that order oil by the many 55 gallons
I still visit the old City shop where I worked for years
they have some ((master mechanics)) working there -- some 40+ yrs exper
still using what we call -- the old -- common oil

ridden a many a 2-wheel thing with it

Because it's cheaper to buy. Bottom line. But to say "That the REGULAR (oil) stays on the internal parts better at the highest temperature." is not true. Use whatever oil makes your thing lubed and going, but keep the lube thing factual.

There's probably not a more controversial or opinionated topic for gearheads than engine oil.....unless it's 2 stoke vs. 4 stroke, lol.

The local authorized Robin dealer for my area is a small mom and pop engine repair guy, 30 years doing that and when I asked he said "that engine wants a good grade 30 weight".
I know, that's what all the old timers always say, lol.

I always thought these little engines used a splash to lube the parts (similar to an auto transmission in a car). Obviously my assumption was wrong because you would want a lighter weight to do splash lube right?

Except for extreme cold climate start-up, heat is usually the problem. With just a tad over 3 oz. oil capacity it doesn't take long for things to get hot....and thin.

splash is kind of old school

I always thought these little engines used a splash to lube the parts (similar to an auto transmission in a car).
Obviously my assumption was wrong because you would want a lighter weight to do splash lube right?

splash is kind of old school now
the R/S uses some kind of forced pressure system ??

when it comes to the splash types
hard to say that lighter splashes any better
have seen thicker in action
some of those see through ((glass window engines))
are interesting to watch

as most will admit here
even our oil pro's ((I think))
good old straight 30 weight will never let one down
still -- probably the most used small engine oil

true -- syntitetics may be a little better if put in at the right time ??
when is the right time ?? after break in ??
does it effect ones warranty ??
with these quality little engines -- that should almost never be an issue....

MM

Last edited:
They do make "straight 30 weight" synthetic oil. Turns out to be a very awesome lubricant. If you only ride in moderate to hot temps, you absolutely don't need VII's in your oil.

I've broken in plenty of engines on synthetic oil with no issues. There is no technological reason why an IC engine won't break in just fine with synthetic oil. People have strong opinions on this topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Synthetic oil will not effect your warranty if you select the appropriate grade.

splash is kind of old school now
the R/S uses some kind of forced pressure system ??

when it comes to the splash types
hard to say that lighter splashes any better
have seen thicker in action
some of those see through ((glass window engines))
are interesting to watch

as most will admit here
even our oil pro's ((I think))
good old straight 30 weight will never let one down
still -- probably the most used small engine oil

true -- syntitetics may be a little better if put in at the right time ??
when is the right time ?? after break in ??
does it effect ones warranty ??
with these quality little engines -- that should almost never be an issue....

MM

The Honda system is technically oil mist,the oil "dipper" is not in the crank case but in a seperate sump.Mist is pulled into the crankcase on the piston up stroke, blown up to the top end on the down stroke.
The OHC use a variant of this system.

Robin uses a timed port arrangement to meter oil into the crank case.That system operates off crankcase vacuum on the upstroke to pull oil from sump. It has check balls to keep the oil from getting pump back into sump on the piston down stroke.

Briggs, Ryobi,Redmax/Zenoah mini four stroke use standard industrial engine type of splash lube.

Just a couple of oil related thoughts on the EH035...

A company converts and sells the Subaru EH035 engine for model airplane use as the Fuji BF-34EI

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJDJ6&P=7

With this "converted" engine, Fuji recommends 0W20 100% synthetic oil. I know this isn't the oil that Subaru recommends. Evidently Fuji feels that this oil works best for their conversion (more power/less friction perhaps?). I don't have an opinion on this and I'm just passing it on.

The EHO35 has an oil capacity of a mere 100cc (under half a cup). When changing oil, I find it easiest to just tip the engine back to drain out ALL the oil, and then put in a measured 100cc's of oil with a large syringe.

Fuji is the parent company of Subaru.They market that engine under the Fuji name along with a few other RC engines.

Back