How many here rode motorcycles first

well, first ? kinda.

we had rupp mini-bikes, offcast cushmans and allstates, then zundaps and anything else on 2 wheels we could get our hands on.

dirt bikes early YZ 125 and a MX 360. got pretty banged up in a stupid drunken leap-frog tag game thru a state forrest and gave up bikes for 5 yrs.

at 23 my first street bike was a '73 HD Super Glide that started my fasicantion with customs and performance tuning.

in '83 i traded that bike for a 73 volvo sedan and enough cash to put my wife and kids in a rental and out of friends basements. i figured that would be the last i rode.

15 yrs. later in '98 my wife picked me up from work and said we had somewhere to go. 2 hrs. later i woke up in a unrecognizable town in a drive full of bikes.

she walked over to a cherry 77 Lowrider, cams, Andrews gears, stagered duals and said this one is yours honey. i kept it 2 yrs but it was never the same as the old days.

i saw an add for an '85 Vmax and having the cash went and got it. that was the last i rode the Glide, i sold it the following yr. for double what we gave for it.

still have the Vmax, they're the base of my tuning buisness, i've had a '01 FZ1000, built to the nines, sold it bought a '02 ZRX1200R, fun enough i guess but it's for sale too.

i got into MB's as a hobby sort of thing, then sold my '84 18 MPG Grand Marque when gas hit $4.00 and have been using the MB as a yr. round commuter since.

the MB is the most fun i've had in riding since i was a kid patching up basket cases and riding where they would take us and bumming a ride back home in the back of someones pickup.

steve

I have been riding for the past 20years. I currently own a ST1300 Honda with which I participated (and finished) three times in 1,200+ miles in 24hrs (one BabyButt and two Utah 1088). Currently riding more local.

yea first bike Honda Dream,,next a Honda 350 witch I put knobbies and a high straight pipe exaust on..next 175 Yamaha early 70s when motorcross was just getting going in US...A friend was working on modification to make these "enduro bikes" ready to race motorcross....I fabed up a lot of swingarms to lenthen and drop the rear end ..a lot of aftermarket products were just coming out to convert these enduro bikes..I got mine down to less than180lbs and raced it a few times but could not compete with the big boys with more bucks and factory sponsorships...rode some long enduro races... now 30 years later i have discovered this HT BIKE hobby way to much fun

Quite a few, and probably more here.

I guess my question is related to see how many MBers came to motorized bicycles by way of bigger bikes, as a downsizing move or just a way of simplifying while retaining the fun of riding on two wheels. Fun always seems to be a major component of MBs.

Having first owned and ridden ridden motorcycles sated the 'need for speed' for me. In 1978 in the military I was single and footloose, put my money down on a turbo charged Kawasaki 1000cc. This was the start of the displacement wars started by the Jap makers, Kawasaki upped the ante with a turbo. Not many sold in the US, under 11 second street bike. They were scary fast and good in a straight line, handling could have been better.

Bit of a stretch but in a way it reminds me of something I remember Chuck Yager saying, he flew everything under the sun first and fastest but later in life he said flying ultrallights at treetop was what was most fun. :D

Last edited:
I don't see it as downsizing.

I see it as another dimension in having fun on two wheels. It also happens to be cheaper and simpler. Plus, I don't have to go 100 miles from home to have fun. When riding my sportbikes, getting out into the countryside is mandatory for me to have a lot of fun because they are so fast.

Have ridden since I was six. Had a Hodaka trail 90 first, then a 1974 Honda XR-75, a custom 1970 Ossa 250, a 1986 KLR-250 dual sport, a 1990 KX-250 I raced motocross and desert on and I have a 1974 BMW R90S (I still have the BMW, the other bikes are all gone) I got the MB bug after making a push trailer and found this site.

bi-pedal

I grew up dreaming motorcycles. First the bicycle extended walking range, then a Yamaha trail bike added more. Honda scramblers, Yamaha enduro then Huskys for motocross and trail riding. Rode pro motocross in the early 70s but always liked to explore in desert and mountains. Tired of the travel, noise and time required as riding access became restricted. Simplified with the early mountain bike.

Lifetime motorcycle count is 32 at least, none at present. Bicycle count is 6 with 3 current. That 84 Stumpjumper is now my Gebe four stroke MB. Rode the neigborhood at sunset last night. Must have seen 15 - 20 people, kids, couples, oldsters, smiling and waving a recognition they would enjoy a motorized bicycle.

One of the items on my "bucket list" is to earn my motorcycle license.

Among my other MB's I have a 2006 Whizzer which needs to be registered as a motorcycle. I'm also fixing a 1985 Honda 150cc scooter which also requires a MC license to operate.

My brother-in-law wants me to "step up" and get a REAL motorcycle so I can cruise with them. I just don't want to spend $20K and go fast. I also don't like to pay someone else to fix/tune the bike.

I like having three MB'S and being able to fix them myself.

Started riding minibikes around 11-12, totalled street bike at 17, at 22 my only form of transportation for a year was 650 Yamaha bored to 804. (I could keep up with the Kawi 900's and used to eat Honda 750's for lunch. Got married wife made me sell bike and Willy's Jeep.

Never rode another motorized bike until after I turned 50. Now I have 3 bikes, working on a full suspension out of parts, thinking about what to do with a trolling motor, and setting up a neighbors bike. My brother thinks I should pull the carpet in my extra room and work on them in the house.

I started out as a kid making MB bikes in the 60's. Modified bike frames with Tecumseh engines, DIRECT belt drive, usually to a small diameter wagon wheel, with a v belt sheave (pulley) bolted to the wagon wheel, which was about the same diameter of the wheel, which made for interesting left turns, lol. Brakes ended up being mostly the Flintstones method of stopping, a good pair of boots. Then as a teenager on to motorcycles, here in Florida, you could drive a motorcycle at 15, but not a car, unsupervised, until you were 16, seemed backwards but whatever way could get around.
Now I buy and restore vintage motorcycles, my last 2 projects 1979 Yamaha Daytona RD400F, and a 1984 Kawasaki GPZ550. I will never get too old to appreciate and enjoy the 2 wheeled motorized vehicle.........

Back