Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Had stitches.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Totaled my bike.

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I ended up in the hospital.

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters
I have had quite a few accident involving bikes. I use to race BMX and rode my bike everywhere off the track too.
I remember one where I was just skidding sideways really fast for fun.... then laided the bike down resulting in my whole left side being one big wound.

I've eaten a lot of dirt on jumps...

But by far the worst accident I have ever had was when I was coming home from the first little league practice of the season. I was trying to beat my dad home on my bike. About halfway home my dad caught up to me in his truck, I was pedaling as fast as I could (dad said I was doing 20mph according to his speedo) when my sister spit on me from the car which was pacing me. I turned and spit at her, when I turned back there was this very large, very metal, transmission line power pole. BLAMO!! Taco'd the front rim, bent the forks, bent handle bars back. My face hits the pole doing 20mph (quick physics lesson, when you hit an immovable object it effectively doubles the force of the collision) I was still conscious but in a lot of pain. I managed to put the bike into the back of the truck and was driven the rest of the way home in tears. I had this headache that just wouldn't stop. Couple hours go by and I am in some serious pain. Off to the hospital! I don't quite remember what happen but we were rushed in front of everyone and I was scanned with many machines. Diagnosis? My brain was bleeding causing pressure to build in my skull. The solution? Cut that mofo open! So after getting a small square of my skull cut out to relieve the pressure they staple my skull back together and I'm good. (I still have a broken nose tho) They said if I had come in any later I would most likely have died.

Diagnosis? My brain was bleeding causing pressure to build in my skull. The solution? Cut that mofo open! So after getting a small square of my skull cut out to relieve the pressure they staple my skull back together and I'm good. (I still have a broken nose tho) They said if I had come in any later I would most likely have died.
Man... it's so rare that I hear of somebody who truly got their money's worth in a hospital. I've pretty much spent about $10,000 to remove my appendix & to stitch my lip from my accident.

I consider myself lucky, but you are *very* lucky!

While were on the ohhh sh well you know

I was cruizin down the road ..just passed a store ,with Hotties I worked used to with out side, so gunned it and I have the 50 tooth(it gets it in the hole shot) I be ****ed if the chain roller arm did'nt slide on my chainstay..into the spokes..my eyes getting squeezed out of my head from the pressure from my guts against my head set.. one arm on the handlebars the rest trying to balance this new age ENDO I'm in.Phew right passed thier line of view. Idon.t know if theres an arcticle about either welding your chain roller or drilling all the way throught that and your frame then putting a bolt
(1/16 - 1/8 thick x1 1/2 long) throught there..with locktight like everything else on it..But it might be a good preventative article preventing Brain surgery.

Glad to here you made it though Guy with the spitting sister!

I've put an awful lot of miles on various bicycles and motorcycles (cages too, for that matter) but I've been lucky, and careful, enough to avoid anything really bad.

Once a lady pulled that classic stunt of pulling up alongside of me and then turning into me. I was not seriously injured, but I was stunned to the point of being a bit "groggy". I hit the ground pretty hard. I do remember on-lookers descending on me and trying to untangle me from the bike while I was still unsure of just how bad my injuries were. And I remember hearing this woman standing at the back saying "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you." It makes me a bit angry just thinking about it. She must have had her eyes closed. And, of course, she was gone before I got a chance to get up and shake the shock out of me. It's been about 25 years or so and I don't think, looking back on it, that I reported her as a hit and run. I should have. But the bike wasn't seriously hurt and neither was I. I just limped for a few days. I think I let it go because the bike belonged to my employer and bike messengers always got the blame when the cops got involved. I'll bet it's still that way.

And this doesn't really qualify as an injury, but it's a memory that's worth a chuckle; once when cruising along at 55 or 60 on a motorcycle (with a friend on back) a wasp or hornet smacked me right on the collar of my jacket, slipped down over my shoulder and stung me 4 or 5 times down my back in the time it took to get stopped. During that time I was jerking around and yelling as I was slamming on the brakes. My poor friend was off that bike like a shot as soon as it was stopped (or nearly stopped). He thought I'd gone psycho at the "wheel".

The light changed on me JUST before the go/no-go point, and I hit the brakes hard. Unfortunately, there was a oil spot on the street & before I could even think "Oh Carp! ," I was doing the controlled skid thing, with right foot down & sliding down the street, with the bike pointed about 40 degrees to the right...

Didn't crash or lay the bike down, but it was a close thing.

Re the wasp thing - back in the 70's, my roommate was riding his 750 Honda & hit a big bumblebee. The bee bounced off his chest, up inside his helmet. Fortunately, it was stunned, and didn't sting him, but he almost put the bike down getting stopped!

Last edited:
Just yesterday, I was riding to work for the 1st time. I decided to take a detour around a dangerously narrow stretch of road that is frequented by large dump trucks...my detour involved gravel coated road with sand and large rocks.
My back tire spun out, I slammed into the ground and bounced my (helmeted) head off the dirt. I lost most of the skin on my knee, and my arm was chewed up through a thick winter jacket. It took me 5 minutes of standing there to regain my senses. Then I went to work with blood soaking my pants, suited up, and worked the day!
The first thing that went through my head? "Oh my God, I've wrecked my bike!" I only broke the mirror off, and bent the front rim!

Oh yeah, I also had some jerk come behind me and honk, which just about made me bite it again. It was some old guy telling me to ride on the sidewalk. I gave him a proper two-handed salute, and some friendly suggestions about where he could park his vehicle.

I was riding my motorbike at night down a relatively busy street, and a guy passed me on the left and turned into his driveway without signaling. I slammed on the brakes and flew over the handlebars.... I had 2 lights on my bike and he clearly saw me, he must have though I wasn't going as fast as I was or something. I managed to ride the bike home with a ripped pair of knees and jeans.

Just remember people, cars usually don't notice you are on a motorbike, they think your on a regular bike, so they dont expect you to be going as fast as you are... especially at night. So be careful

RAILROAD TRACKS! today, after just finishing a bike last night that was already sold, took it for a test beatin'.
RR track groove caught back wheel, and down we went. road rash everywhere. huge knot/cut on elbow. bruised hip, brusied pride, and a very noticeable mark on front of my helmet. (always worn)
completely wasted rear wheel, broken clutch lever, throttle assembly, and the echo of laughter from my buddy josh rings loudly in my head.

Back