Synthetic 2-Stroke oil, Is it worth using?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by battery, Feb 22, 2014.

1. battery

battery Member

So I did the math. I can get a one shot of synthetic oil three towns over for a gallon for $4, or buy a quart of valvoline 2-stroke oil for $5 at the auto parts store here in town. I figure for as long as the engine lasts. maybe two years tops @ 400 miles a month I can buy six new engines in that time with the amount of money I would save by using the cheap stuff.

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

When modify my engine I want it to last and so I use synthetic or semi-synthetic oil at 30:1

If you just leave it stock then there is no time or effort invested into it and so the engine can then be considered more "expendable".
    Regular oil is fine for a stock engine because it is weaker than a baby.

battery likes this.
  3. battery

battery Member

what would you consider to be the most cost effecient power mods?

4. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

raising the compression
    extending the intake tract (between carb and cylinder)
    using an iridium plug
    using a dremel to report the cylinder to be more in-sync and rev higher
    install a lighter wrist pin to reduce engine vibrations
    replace the crappy nuts/bolts with a set of good ones

5. battery

battery Member

I like the irridium plug idea. only $6 I have an extended carb. it ruined my power band. the rest I feel with kill the longetivity of my engine.

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I can't give any advise on "power" mods, but i can say that a reed valve intake is very effective method of improving low and midrange torque.

battery likes this.
  7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now that is stretching the truth by a monumental margin!
    All of my engines (which have individually done a heck of a lot of miles) are (mechanically) stock standard, with aftermarket upgrades confined to the ignition and the carburettor and reed valve system.

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I use the cheapest (air cooled specification) 2-stroke oil i can find and run the engine at 25:1 oil/fuel ratio. Typically i get 4,000 kilometers (2,500 miles) out of a cylinder before it needs replacement.
    The bottom end of my previous engine out lasted two replacement cylinders.

If an engine has the sh!t revved out of it, no oil on the market (no matter how good it might be) will be able to protect the engine internals from mechanical failure.

9. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Only if you haven't corrected the crank imbalance does reving the "sh-it" out of it cause mechanical failure.

Extending the intake does rob some high end popwer to give more low end power.
    these two cheap mods definitely will not reduce reliability:
    install a lighter wrist pin to reduce engine vibrations
    replace the crappy nuts/bolts with a set of good ones

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now lets be sensible Jaguar: revving the sh!t out of the engine will cause problems that only money can fix, regardless if new nuts and bolts are installed or a lighter wrist pin is fitted or "your" so called crankshaft imbalance is corrected.

All i know is that there is an imbalance in the system, and sometimes it isn't the engine.

11. max350

max350 Member

One of the reasons that my engine "hold" up and revving more than 9k is that I use a Swedish oil (Triboron )developed specifically for high performance 2stroke engines. But to the question - You can use any two-stroke oil whatsoever to china motors, mix recommended by the manufacturer (not 1:100)

Triboron Motor Amps: http://www.triboron.se/se/vaelkommen.html

With Swedish patented technologies, an innovation created.

The product contains Boron (B), a semi-metallic atoms. Boron (B) has one of the lowest friction coefficients are!

Boron (B) combines with other elements and create a strong and ultra-low friction in the engine.

Reduces friction.
    Provides increased power and torque.
    Cleaner engine
    Swedish patent

12. battery

battery Member

my manufacturer reccomends a 20:1! 16:1 for break in. can you suggest a good quiality reed carb for the happy time 80? a freind of mine told me I should get one. I figure it would be a good investment as I can save the carb when I replace the engine this summer.

13. battery

battery Member

also have any of you folks noticed an increase in fuel milage with the non synthetic oil? not only does it save me money in oil but when gas is $4.20 a gallon...

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Is it possible that your tacho suffers from the same calibration issues as your speedo?

15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

For the amount of fuel these engines use, i am not even the slightest bit concerned about fuel mileage. My main concern is that the engine keeps going, and i don't care how much fuel it uses, so long as it keeps going with good reliability.

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a "reed carb". You can purchase a reed valve intake system and a reed valve intake that is compatible with the mounting holes of a Walbro style diaphragm carburettor.

The carburettor and reed valve intake are two completely separate items.

battery likes this.
  17. max350

max350 Member

You're a funny guy/girl who knows :jester:

18. max350

max350 Member

A good replacement carburetor is Dellorto SHA 15:15, 16:16. if you do not have much knowledge of 2 stroke tuning, do not mount reedblock on your engine,

19. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I am sorry Fabian but I have a motocross background where the engines are made to be rev'd to the limit and beyond.
    But that is really bad for an imbalanced engine. I personally don't see how the normal vibrations from these engines don't bother the hell out of others. I guess I just like things to work right.

20. battery

battery Member

I'm no McGuiver when it comes to engines but I hae a basic knowledge of how they work and how to tune. I do not know anything about vaccume carbs if it is anything like that I want nothing to do with it!